Point Blank

Allison felt sick as she rode the elevator up to the hospital floor where her mom was with a man who stood quietly in the corner. Reaching the floor Allison hurried off and ran down the hall to the small waiting room. Seeing Johanna she let out a relieved sob.

"Gram, what happened?" Allison asked breathlessly.

Johanna hugged her tightly, kissing her temple.

"That's a question I would liked answered as well." A man said behind her.

Allison turned, one arm still around Johanna's waist.

"Jim what are you doing here?" Johanna asked bitterly, it was the man from the elevator.

"She's my daughter too Johanna" Jim said making Allison look at her grandma.

"You made the decision to not be her father the day you left us and filed for divorce." Johanna said shaking her head. She looked back at Allison taking her hands in hers. "Your mom got shot, she's in surgery but that's all we know right now."

Allison nodded glancing over at Rick who was watching with tears in his eyes. Squeezing Johanna's hand Allison looked at Jim before going to take a seat next to Rick.

"And you, you're the reason she's here in the first place." Jim yelled taking a step towards Rick.

Allison jumped up taking standing tall before him.

"I don't know what makes you think you have the right to come here. But you have no idea what my mom is like. I don't even know you, so what makes you think that you know her? If you cared about her at all you would be sitting here like the rest of us waiting instead of yelling at people you don't even know." Allison said trying her best not to let the tears get the best of her.

Jim smirked, "You should go" Esposito said moving next to Allison.

Nodding Jim turned just as the doctor came out. Rick stood up and Allison reached out taking his hand.

"Family of Kate Beckett?" He asked, the nodded. "I'm glad to say she's out of surgery. It was touch and go, and we did lose her on the table once but I'm hopeful that she'll make a full recovery. She was lucky." The doctor explained.

"When can we see her?" Johanna asked.

"I can only let immediate family back right now once we get her in a room but after that she can have visitors." Johanna nodded looking at Allison and Rick.

"Go, she'll want to see you when she wakes up." Allison said with a soft smile.

"What?" Rick asked slightly shocked.

"Just come get gram and I when she's awake." Allison replied.

Giving a slight nod he followed the doctor. Allison hadn't realized the older man who she now knew to be her grandpa had left.

"Ryan and I are going to go, let us know when she's awake?" Esposito said looking at Allison who nodded.

Falling into a chair she laid her head against the wall. Feeling Johanna sit down next to her she looked over her left shoulder at her.

"She'll be okay right?" Allison asked. Johanna looked at her.

"Yeah," she replied.

Allison nodded, "Can I ask you something?"

"Is it about your grandpa?" Johanna asked.

"Why don't you ever talk about him?"

Johanna let out a sigh rubbing her thumb over Allison's hand. "We were really young when we got married and we both wanted to be lawyers. We were in love and it was exciting. Then I got pregnant with your mom. I found out on my 21st birthday. When I told your grandpa he wasn't even the least bit excited about it. That's when he just got up and left. Two weeks later I got divorce papers in the mail with no explanation." Johanna explained.

"And he never came back?" Allison asked.

"No, that's the first time I've seen him in close to thirty years." She laughed slightly, "not gonna lie. Seeing you yell at him was really satisfying."

Allison laughed, "I pitty him honestly. He has no idea what this family is like. After everything we've been through."

"I don't tell you enough how proud I am of you." Johanna said making Allison smile.

"Oh uh, I had something I wanted to show you." Allison said digging into her bag. Pulling out a paper she handed it to Johanna who unfolded it.

"Wah, you got an A on the paper we wrote for the law class." She smiled.

"Yeah, I couldn't have gotten it without your help."

"Yes you could've, and I'm not just saying that because I'm your grandma. I really do have faith in you that you can do this."

Allison smiled putting the paper back in her bag. Looking up she saw Rick and quickly got to her feet.

"Is mom awake?" She asked.

"Yeah, she wanted to see you two for some unknown reason." Rick smiled.

The two of them followed Rick to her room and Allison watched Johanna go in. Stopping dead in her tracks.

"You okay?" Rick asked laying his hand on her arm.

"How bad...?" She choked out.

"It's not bad. She has an IV in but nothing else. And you can't see any of her bandages." Rick explained. "Hey I'm sorry you had to deal with that earlier."

Allison looked at him, "He didn't have a right to say it when he doesn't know you."

Rick smiled softly. "You'll make a good lawyer some day."

Allison smiled before walking in. Kate looked up at her. Her eyes instantly lighting up when she saw her daughter. Without a word Allison hugged Kate, careful not to hurt her. Moving over as best she could Kate let Allison climb into bed with her. Holding her daughter close.