Chapter 22: Clouds

Jun sat at his desk in his office, staring at the mango splitter in front of him

What did it mean?

Ming Jin liked mangoes. This could mean that Jun was supposed to call him and... invite him to eat fruit?

Why couldn't this have been clearer? Why couldn't it have come earlier?

What in the hell was he going to do with a mango splitter? How was it supposed to help him get Ming Jin back? Jun's been agonizing over this for days now, waiting for some sort of sign, some sort of instruction.

There was a knock at the door and Bea, his assistant manager, poked her head in. "Jun, there's someone out there who wants to speak to you."

"I'll be right out." Jun grabbed his jacket from the back of his chair and put it on.

When he went out, he saw Bea talking to a man standing by the wine racks. She pointed to Jun, then walked away. The man was Louis Koo, a culinary instructor from Shanghai University. They had some good talks over the years about foods and recipes. It took a moment for Jun to make himself walk. The last thing Ming Jin said to him was that he should go out with Louis. This had nothing to do with that, Jun told himself, but he still found himself hating every step he took. He didn't want to date Louis.

Louis extended his hand. "Jun, good to see you."

Jun shook his hand. "What can I do for you?" That doesn't involve dating or marriage.

"I wanted to invite you to join a free community class I'm teaching sponsored by the university." Louis said affably. He was a handsome, good-natured man. Jun had always liked that his nails were neat and shiny. "It's going to be a fun course on making cooking easy with gadgets and shortcuts. You'd be a real asset to the class, with your knowledge of food and what's available locally."

This was all too much. It was too soon. Jun felt like someone was trying to wake him up early in the morning. "I don't know... my schedule..."

"It's tomorrow night. Are you busy?"

"Tomorrow? Well..."

"I'm asking everyone to bring any tricks they've learned and gadgets they use that most people wouldn't heard or know about. No pressure, okay? Tomorrow night at six if you can come." Louis reached into his back pocket and brought out his wallet. "Here's my card with my number if you have any question."

Jun took it. It was warm from his body. "I'll think about it,"

"Great. See you later."

Jun walked back to his office and sat down hard in his chair. Bring any tricks and gadgets most people wouldn't heard or know about.

Like a mango splitter.

He'd waited so long for Alex to give him something. This was supposed to make everything right. Jun picked up the phone stubbornly. He would call Ming Jin. He would make this the thing that brought them back together, no matter what.