36. So Much for Secrets

Danny

I stand there a couple of minutes watching Fry wolf down his breakfast, hands stuck in my pockets. Then, when I can't take it anymore, I turn to Mom and say it one more time:

"But it's not fair!"

She tosses me an apple for my lunchbox. "Fair's in September, sweetie," she winks.

I roll my eyes and groan, "Mom, seriously?" That's one of Grandma's jokes, and I hate it every time I hear it, especially today.

I've tried everything I know- even took off my glasses and made my eyes look as wide and as sad as possible, a look Cousin Roxie calls the "Prince-y pout"- but Mom's not budging. I still have to go to school today- even though Mom has decided to stay home from work. And that's what isn't fair.

"Danny, I'm not staying home just because I want to play hooky," she explains, spreading the peanut butter on the bread slice in her palm. "Freddie is more than likely going to wake up with a whale of a hangover if he passed out cold at some club yesterday, and chances are he won't be in a sentient enough state to fix himself a cup of tea, let alone a Bloody Mary."

"I could stay home and help, too, though," I offer.

She just smiles. "I know, and I appreciate that, but you have quite a few tests today, and you can't miss them just to help me nurse Freddie through a stupor. Plus, I know you don't want to miss seeing Lauren- or learning another new Japanese word. Do you?"

"No," I grumble.

"There you are." Then she goes back to softly singing the Crosby, Something, and Nash song that Modo's playing- "Sweet Judy Blue Eyes," I think it's called, even though they never say those words in it once, sort of like Freddie never says the words "Bohemian Rhapsody."

That's when the water for Freddie's tea starts boiling.  Mom puts my peanut butter sandwich in the container, hands it to me, then takes the water off the heat, covering the pot to keep it warm- I guess.  When she's not looking, I reach into the pantry and sneak an extra couple of those Andes chocolate mints for dessert.

"Is he up yet?" I ask.  It's about that time that he usually wakes up every morning; he always comes out just before I head to school, and I do want to see him before I leave.

"I doubt it," Mom answers.  "I don't expect him to wake up for a long time yet; the tea there is a 'just in case' thing."

I glance at the shut bedroom door.  "Can I have a peek?  I promise I'll be quiet."

"Just don't try to wake him up-"

"I won't!  I'll be quiet as a mouse without a voice box.  Plus my feet are real quiet.  See?" And I bounce around the kitchen on tip-toes, even though Mom doesn't really like it when I do that- but still, I don't make any noise.

"Go right ahead," she nods.  "Quietly, though."

I bow.  "Hai."

"Oh! That reminds me," she says. "What was the word yesterday?"

"The Japanese word?"  I shrug.  "It was phrase, kind of thing. It means 'hold your hand.'"

"Aww," Mom hums. "How do you say it?"

"It's, uh- teo toriatte." I roll the "r" like Ms. Yamaguchi did. 

Mom looks at me, then lets out a long, quiet sigh. "Man," she murmurs to herself. "When it rains, it pours, doesn't it?"

"What?"

She doesn't answer; the house phone rings before she can.  "One second," she murmurs.  She looks at the caller ID, and frowns.  "What's K calling for?"