Chapter 1

Okay, so I know this is a very boring chapter and it does very little to foreshadow everything, but it does give you key information on a few of the main characters. Actually, the first couple of chapters are rather boring. If you can get through those chapters, the book will get more interesting. I also wrote the beginning a while ago, so my writing isn't as good as I'd like it to be. Chapter nine and those after it contain more recent writing. Enjoy!

⠀⠀ "Boulderclaw! Littlefawn!" The cream and white she cat shrieked. Her belly bulged with kits as she clenched her jaw. The small calico medicine cat gasped.

⠀⠀ "Hold on." She soothed. "Everything will be fine." Her petite paws quickly began at work. "Moss!" She yowled into the camp. "And a stick! Hurry!" The queen drove her claws into the dirt below her as she waited in anxiety.

⠀⠀ Cats gathered around the nursery as they heard yowls of pain. A large tabby tom shoved his way into the entrance.

⠀⠀ "I'm here, Hiddenfrost." He murmured, his eyes locking with hers. She nodded hesitantly, screeching as her stomach convulsed.

⠀⠀ "Here!" A smaller tabby with white paws shoved her way through the crowd with a stick in her jaw. "Bite down." The young cat said, looking to her mentor for approval. Littlefawn nodded to her and rearranged the moss.

⠀⠀ "When I count to three, I need you to push." The calico mewed, nudging the other cats away. "One... two... three!" The queen pushed, yowling through gritted teeth. A kit slipped out and the medicine cat rushed over, licking its fur with her tongue.

⠀⠀ It was a brown tom with large paws and vivid swirls. He had a white muzzle and seemed very healthy.

⠀⠀ "Tell her when, Cherrypaw." The she cat mewed to her apprentice.

⠀⠀ "Ok. Ready Hiddenfrost?" She mewed. With a nod, the queen braced herself.

⠀⠀ "One... two... three!"

⠀⠀ Another kit came out, this one a dark tabby with a white paws.

⠀⠀ "Perfect. Keep going, you still have more." The apprentice mewed. Hiddenfrost closed her eyes, breathing heavily as she prepared herself.

⠀⠀ There was another countdown. The kit this time was pale gold. She had white paws and long legs. "Looks like you've got a runner in the family." Littlefawn purred. She delicately placed her paw on the queens belly. No kicks. "You're done."

⠀⠀ Hiddenfrost began to stand, but she collapsed.

⠀⠀ "Another." She said, panicking. "There's another kit." Startled, Littlefawn pressed on her belly harder, feeling the small head. Very small.

⠀⠀ "Okay." She mewed nervously. "One... two... three!"

⠀⠀ A small pure gold kit slipped out, not moving. Terrified, the medicine cat licked the kit, trying to revive her. Nothing.

⠀⠀ "Oh please no..." she murmured.

⠀⠀ The mouse sized kit sprawled out limply on the thick bed of moss. Her frail body was delicately scooped up and set in front of the mother.

⠀⠀ "I'm... I'm so sorry." She said with a meek whisper.

⠀⠀ In a pure state of shock, the mother stared at the kit.

⠀⠀ "Her name is Amberkit. Her warrior name would have been Ambersplash. She is beautiful." A tear rolled down the queen's cheek as she gave her kit a lick on the ear. "Bury her..." she sobbed, her body quivering in grief.

⠀⠀ A silver she cat padded in, clutching the kit in her jaws.

⠀⠀ "Moondapple... be careful!" Hiddenfrost yowled to her sister as she carried the limp body away.

ˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆˆ

⠀⠀ About half a moon had passed when the kits began opening their eyes. First was Adderkit. He had golden eyes with light amber flecks surrounding his pupil. Next was Timberkit. His eyes were a brilliant green, circled by a dark ring. Jaykit still hadn't opened hers.

⠀⠀ "Hiddenfrost! Hiddenfrost, come quick!" Moondapple mewed excitedly. Timberkit and Adderkit had opened their eyes two days ago, and Moondapple desperately wanted to see their sister's.

⠀⠀ "That's strange." Hiddenfrost whispered to her sister as her youngest kit blinked open her eyes. They were a deep blue, like a lake. "We have no blue eyes in our family." She shrugged and bent down. "Welcome to the world, Jaykit."

⠀⠀ With a few blinks, her vision became clear.

⠀⠀ "Can we play with her now?" She heard a young voice ask. It wasn't either of her brothers.

⠀⠀ "No, Ashkit. She's still too young, along with her brothers. The one and a half moon old kit gave her mother, Ripplesong, a pleading look. She sighed. "Go ask Hiddenfrost if you can say hello." She mewed.

⠀⠀The black and white splotched kit grinned and scampered off, his fluffy white sister, Sweetkit, on his tail. The pair padded closer to the nursery. Shyly, Ashkit looked at Hiddenfrost.

⠀⠀ "Can we say hi?" He mewed hopefully as Sweetkit shuffled her paws behind him. With a light laugh, the queen nodded.

⠀⠀ Ashkit padded in excitedly. All three kits, could barely walk, but they could mumble a few words.

⠀⠀ "Hello there, Jaykit." The tom little mewed, almost touching noses with her. Surprised, the young kit looked up at her mother, realizing how pretty she was. Her pelt was a light gold with a white underbelly and muzzle. The golden part was lightly dappled, and her eyes were a stunning green.

⠀⠀ She turned and looked at her own paws. They were white. Slowly, she looked at her shoulder. Golden with a hint of darker dapples. The kit quickly turned her attention back to a curious Ashkit.

⠀⠀ She gave him a nod, but said nothing.

⠀⠀ "I'm Ashkit. I'll be living in the nursery with you. That there is my sister, Sweetkit." He motioned to the fluffy she kit as she playfully cuffed his ear. Jaykit nodded, not wanting to speak. The patched kit sighed, disappointed that she didn't talk to him.

⠀⠀ "I'm sure she'll talk to you when she's ready. She is just not much of a talker, I suppose." Hiddenfrost soothed. Feeling better about being ignored, Ashkit nodded.

⠀⠀ "Okay." He mewed, trotting off.