Fate

Karlette let out a squeal and threw her hands into the air. She glanced at the soeedometer and saw they were pushing eighty. They passed a small, slow moving station wagon.  In it was a little boy and a scrawny teenager with long, black hair. Putting them out of her mind, she blasted the radio and snuggled into James, but what she heard made her sit straight up. A tornado warning was in effect for the are, especially those within twenty miles of the coast. She started beating at James, pleading for him to stop the car. He pulled over to the shoulder and stopped. Karlette hoppes out and soun around, and the sight sickened her. She could just make out Essex, and behind that a long, spindly column of black. This can't be happening, she thought. I was just there. I should have heard something.

"James we have to go back. Now!"

"Karl, we can't.  Babe this is what we wanted. "

"You can either drive me or I'm walking. "

"No. You're gonna get your ass in the car. "

"No I'm-"

She was interrupted by the screech of tires and a blaring horn. The old station wagon was there, and the kid stuck his head out of the window.

"Hey! Do you see that?"

"Yeah. Actually, I need a ride back to Essex."

"Good. Because that's where im heading and I didn't wanna go alone. Get in."

Sparing one look at James, she walked to the station wagon, got in, and slammed the door. And just like that, Karlette had sealed her fate.