Chapter Two

When Lucy came to it was halfway into the next day. Slate sat with his back against the head board of her bed, staring up at the many pictures, quotes and photographs that plastered her ceiling. She sat up cautiously. He smiled.

''Good morning.'' He said, leaning over and gently kissing her temple.

''Morning. Is everyone from last night gone?''

''Kinda. I think Woodstock, Summer and Lauren stayed.''

''Yeah, they said they'd stay to clean up.'' She yawned and rested her head on his shoulder. ''How long have you been up?''

''Not long. I think the LSD really took it's toll on us.''

''As well as whatever else we ingested.'' He chuckled.

''That mainly applies to you and Lauren. I don't think I ever saw either of you without a cosmo in your hand.''

''Lauren makes really good cosmos.'' Lucy laughed. ''Speaking of, should we go find her?''

''Maybe...'' Slate said, thinking. ''Or, we could do this.'' He tilted her head up with his index finger and kissed her; she responded by wrapping her arms around his neck.

''I like this idea much better.'' She giggled, letting him lean her back before kissing her again.

''Lauren? Summer?'' Woodstock called through the living room. ''I'm kind of sick of cleaning by myself. Any help?''

Lauren came down the stairs, clutching her head with her hand. A huge purple bruise spread across her wrist.

''Shit, man. What happened?'' Woodstock asked, concern painting her face.

''I fell asleep against the wall.'' She lied, ''must have knocked my wrist against it in my sleep.''

''That looks pretty bad, man.''

''It doesn't really hurt.'' She lied again.

They cleaned up the living room in silence. Woodstock knew there was more to Lauren's story, but she was too afraid to ask. She didn't want to have to worry about it if it was anything serious. So she didn't say anything.

Slate and Lucy came down by the time they were finished, talking and sharing a cigarette in the kitchen. Woodstock and Lauren joined them.

''Have any of you seen Summer at all?'' Lucy said after a while. They all shook their heads.

''Maybe she went to see David.'' Lauren suggested, referring to Summer's off and on boyfriend; it seemed like Lucy and Slate were the only couple that knew how to stay together.

''No, they're off right now.'' Lucy reminded her.

''I wouldn't worry about it. She'll turn up sooner or later.'' Slate reassured them. Woodstock helped herself to a poptart from Lucy's pantry; Lauren's stomach growled loudly.

''I want pizza.'' She announced and turned to Lucy. ''Do you have any?''

''I have no clue. Check the freezer.'' Lauren did she she said but came up empty. She scowled.

''Your lack of pizza disturbs me.''

Lucy shrugged. ''Someone probably cooked the last of it last night.''

''Fuckers. Can I order some?''

''If you pay for it.''

Lauren pulled out her cell phone and called the pizza place on her speed dial.

__________

Summer woke up in a daze, her head pounding harder than it ever had before. Her back ached from sleeping on concrete and her eyesight was hazy. Alania sat on the ground next to her wide awake. She was smoking something out of a pipe, but it didn't smell like weed. It was too sweet, too toxic, too unnatural. She still looked beautiful to Summer, but not nearly to the extent she did in the light of the LSD. Summer couldn't help but feel disappointed. And afraid. This girl was not her friend; she was a stranger and not to be trusted, and she was smoking things that Summer had never seen before.