Chapter Four

Summer woke up in a daze, feeling the vague sensation of an arm curled around her waist. She turned her head to see a boy around her age sleeping soundly beside her. Groaning, she moved him off of her and stood up from the basement floor, then surveyed her surroundings. The place was a wreck, littered with beer cans, cigarette butts, half smoked joints and teenagers. In the corner, Lucy and Slate slept soundly against the wall. She walked over to them.

''Hey, Lucy.'' She whispered and knocked on her head as if she were a door. ''Lucy. Wake up.''

''Ughhhhnn...'' She stirred, squinting at her. 

Summer examined her smeared makeup and laughed. ''Damn, dude. You look like shit.''

''Fuck off you bitch.'' Lucy mumbled, kicking at her feet slightly.

''Wow. Cranky much?''

''Go awaaaaay.'' She whined, then promptly fell back asleep on Slate's shoulder. Summer sighed and went upstairs in search of the house owner; Woodstock. She found her in the middle of the hallway, curled up into a ball, fast asleep. Not wanting to repeat her experience with Lucy, she made her way to the kitchen instead and poured herself a large glass of water. She scanned the counters as she gulped it down. Her eyes landed on two little pink pills in a plastic baggie. She poured them into her hand, examining them.

''To swallow or not to swallow...'' She said out loud. ''That is the question.''

''Swallow. Definitely.'' Summer span around to see Lauren, who plucked one of the pills from her hand. ''Good girls always do.'' She winked.

''Any clue what they are?'' 

Lauren took the glass of water from Summer's hand and chased the pill down with it, then held it back out to her. ''Only one way to find out. Come on, swig.'' She urged. Summer did as she said.

''Let the fun begin.''

The sound of a car pulling in froze them in their tracks. Lauren's eyes widened.

''Holy shit. When are Woodstock's 'rents supposed to be back?''

''You expect me to know that.''

Lauren pushed her in the direction of the window. ''Quick, go check.''

''Are you fucking serious?'' Summer squealed, but reluctantly went over to the window and looked out. A red van sat in the driveway, and a few seconds later Woodstock's parents and brother got out of it. She turned to Lauren. ''They are outside. Right now. Right fucking now. And I think they have intentions of coming in the house.''

''Shit shit shit shit.'' Lauren panicked, racing over to Woodstock. She knelt down and started shaking her. ''Wake up you useless fucking hippie!''

''Ah, holy fuck!'' Woodstock screamed, hitting her across the face on instinct.

''Ow!'' She pressed her hand to her cheek, which was turning red. She glared. ''You hit me! You actually hit me!''

''That's a pretty normal reaction to being shaken awake.''

''Being cussed out I understand, but actual physical violence? What the hell Woodstock?''

''Um, guys. I think we have more pressing matters on our hands.'' Summer interrupted. ''Ya know, kinda like the one where Woodstock's parents are about to walk through the door.''

''My what are about to what?!'' Woodstock screamed. The front door creaked open. She pointed to Lauren, then to the basement. ''You. Warn them. Now.''

Lauren ran down the steps screaming. ''Everybody get the fuck out! Out, out, use the window if you have to but for fuck's sake get out!''

''Summer, get the shrooms off the coffee table.'' She urged, heading for the door. Summer snatched up the bag of drugs and hid them behind her back just as Woodstock's family came in. The two of them froze in place. Woodstock's mom looked them over slowly.