Portsmouth Blue - A Smile in the Dark

Portsmouth Blue – A Smile in the Dark

By James Law

‘You know they call it Dogshit city?’

            ‘Loads of cities get called that by outsiders.  This place isn’t so bad.’

             Lieutenant Commander Dan Lewis wasn’t convinced by the reply.  Since she was appointed to the area, she already felt she had spent too long as a character in front of the drab backdrop of tower blocks and sails that blocked the view of the dirty water surrounding the island.  She barely even noticed the smell of the sea anymore. 

They rounded the side of the dockyard, and passed by the masts of HMS Warrior.  The grey outline of a Type 42 Destroyer was gliding towards North Jetty.  She turned towards Master at Arms Granger.

            ‘She’s going to be alongside shortly, Master,’ she said.  ‘Let’s get going.’

            Master Granger drove round to the main gate where their Royal Navy Police, Special Investigation Branch, credentials offered them immediate entry into the naval base.  She had worn trousers as usual, but had her steaming bats ready for the visit, and had left her warrant card readily accessible inside her tricorn hat.

            ‘No one on or off until I say, right?’ she confirmed.

            ‘Right,’ he said.  ‘I briefed the local Reggies myself; no one gets on or off until you say.’

            The scene at North Jetty was serene.  Where there should have been hundreds of family and friends to greet the returning sailors, there was only a smattering of regulators and provost vans.

Dan could see the Officer of the Day hurrying around the flightdeck to ensure all was in order as the gangway was being craned across to the deck.  As it touched down and the lifting strops were removed, she stepped on and made her way to the brow.  She stopped and stood straight, her arms tight to her sides, at the top of the gangway and saluted before stepping aboard. 

            ‘Lieutenant Commander Lewis?’

            The voice came from her left as the ship’s Commanding Officer made his way out of the citadel.  She turned to meet him, and saluted again.

            ‘Thank you for meeting me, Sir,’ she said.  ‘I’m just sorry it couldn’t be under more pleasant circumstances.’

            The CO looked tired as he shook his head.  Dan had come across him before on her travels around the dockyard; an affable man, liked by his crew, but unlikely to progress past his current rank of commander.  His eyes looked pained below his bushy eyebrows.

            ‘Yes,’ he replied.  ‘Terrible business.  I have the initial report from the Ship’s Investigation for you in my cabin which, of course, is at your disposal.’

            ‘I think I’d rather speak with the witness first, if I may, Sir? I read what was sent by email and I’d rather catch him while it’s still fresh.’

            ‘Of course. He is waiting in my cabin.’

            Master Granger stepped off the gangway and saluted the CO.

            ‘This is Master at Arms Granger,’ she said.  ‘He will be assisting me throughout my investigation.’

            They followed the CO as he led them back into the ship’s citadel and along a narrow passageway.  All along the side, stacked in a row against the bulkhead, were giant brown kitbags.