Endless Lightning

Since the beginning of time the elements have worked together to maintain stability in the world. Fire, water, earth, and air are only few of the many that nature is composed of. Living in this world of elements are humans, who show their gratefulness in a variety of ways to different deities. However, over the millennia, the elements fused together with humans, ultimately creating elementals, or what they are famously called today, carriers.

Humans used to uphold a rapport with the elementals. Together, they advanced society through new inventions and new discoveries. The abilities of the elementals continued to mystify the humans. The power to manipulate nature was astounding and fascinating. As society transformed, people realized that these powers were not only those of superhumans, but those of gods. In other words, there was a clear drawn line between the ordinary and the extraordinary.

Tension always lived in between the humans and the elementals. Human emotions such as envy, greed, and most importantly fear remained silent, but absolutely present. No one ever bothered to voice the concern that perhaps people should not possess the powers of gods and goddesses. At least, not until some decades ago.

It is truly strange how the world works. As animals evolved to suit their environments, humans did as well. After The Incident on December 21, 2012, humanity was not the same. While the ordinary indeed continued to exist, a new race arised.  The psychics, or psychs for short, possessed evolved minds that caused their psychic powers. Once this happened, everything changed.

The psychs believed that they were still human. Unsurprisingly, they managed to convince the rest of the human race of this as well. However, this was all in contribution to the effort to eliminate the elementals out of envy for their powers. psychs began to label them as Carriers, freaks with powers no human should be able to control. Unfortunately for the Carriers, the humans easily joined in this effort.

Of course the psychs could not simply eliminate the Carriers by means of genocide, as they were still considered partially human, just cursed with demonic powers. Thus, banding together with the humans, the psychs formed the Tracers, who would hunt down the most dangerous Carriers and force the less powerful ones to assimilate into ordinary human society. Carriers who did not abide by the law or held powers considered too chaotic for normal lives were thrown into containment facilities. Here, they either lived a crude life, were experimented on, or, if rumors were true, sometimes even executed.

Both Carriers and Tracers are ranked in Classes from F to A, in which A is the supreme class. The Tracers promised the Carriers that as long as they did not utilize their abilities as an unfair advantage over humans, they could live peacefully. However, it remains difficult to hold back a part of oneself, therefore numerous Carriers find themselves imprisoned temporarily or permanently.

Yet, there are exceptions to every rule and regulation. Class Z Carriers are those deemed beyond hazardous to let live in society. They don’t have a chance for a normal, passive life. These are the Carriers at the top of the Tracer’s blacklist. Any other Carrier, human, or even psych associated with a Class Z Carrier is immediately regarded as a most wanted criminal along with the Class Z Carrier. Naturally, Class Z Carriers attracted the most ruthless of the Tracers, the Zeniths. The Zeniths are the best of the best, and are the Class Z of the Tracer world.

It sounds easy enough, to blend quietly into society and follow the Tracer’s harsh expectations. People are people, though, hence there are those who use their powers for, one could call it, pure evil. For every corrupt Tracer there is probably a malevolent Carrier out there exploiting their abilities in order to gain power. In the end, maybe there still is some sort of balance in world, as twisted as it sounds.

Why exactly am I telling you this, you may ask. To summarize in a few words, this is a long, sad, yet hopeful story of the Carrier’s will for a better life.

You could say that the problem mostly had to do with the fact that I am a Class Z Carrier. With a psych brother and Carrier friends who should not be tagging along with me.

But I’m fairly certain that the root of all my problems was falling hard and fast for one of them, those monstrous hunters, a Tracer.