When Life Gives You Lemons, Take a Vacation

Third Person POV

Slade didn’t like to stick out. He preferred to be the needle in the haystack. It was bad enough he had two different colored eyes, but to wear a white Tracer uniform might as well be announcing to every Carrier that he was different. Obviously, that wouldn’t help in his search for Fulmen. He wouldn’t be surprised if Fulmen already saw him and fled the city.

Even though the Tracers prohibited the color-coding system of their uniforms to be publicized, it wasn’t so difficult to figure out. With every Tracer parading around in a black uniform, the ones in white were clearly special.

“What do you think happened here, Slade?”  Slade’s right hand man and best friend queried, his dark eyes filled with wonder.

Slade scanned the battered building that was once known as another low-end Tracer jail. It previously contained unruly psychs and humans, and maybe even low class Carriers. There was a slight scent of burned foliage amongst the wreckage. Most of the letters were either demolished or barely dangling from the building. Countless seas of broken glass swarmed the area.

“Fulmen wanted someone from here. Although, it’s annoying that all the prisoners got out when Fulmen struck the building. Let’s take a closer look,” Slade decided and the other Tracer followed as Slade stepped into what was left of the structure.

The glass crunched piercingly under the steady rhythm of Slade’s walk. As they entered the building two dark uniforms came into view. They appeared to be having an important conversation, their expressions deeply intense and emotional. One of the their eyes slight moved from the other Tracer to Slade himself and panic inhabited the Tracer’s eyes.

“Agent Slade! I didn’t know you’d come to Gateway City of all places!” The low-ranked Tracer expressed his surprise. He knew it was Slade was he recognized his bi-colored eyes. His eyebrows rose as he fully analyzed the one in the white uniform. “And wow, who knew you were just a kid?”

Slade’s nose twitched in annoyance, and at this slight movement, the other Tracer cringed in urgent terror. He knew the potential of Slade’s powers. “No, I’m eighteen, I’m an adult.” Slade rolled his eyes.

“Right,” the other Tracer replied dubiously. “So, what brings you down here?”

“You mean besides Fulmen breaking someone out and smashing this building to pieces?” Slade said sarcastically. “And why is it that neither one of you remember what he looked like?”

The one with raised eyebrows further lifted them anxiously. “We don’t know, sir. Fulmen knocked us out right away and the impact on our heads may have caused our memory loss.”

“You don’t have to call me sir, just Slade is fine. And don’t worry about it, Fulmen wouldn’t be a highly wanted criminal if he were easy to capture. Give me a list of all your past prisoners and we’ll be good,” Slade compromised.

The eyebrow raiser gulped slowly, but nodded hastily. He rushed behind the counter and started to punch the keys of the keyboard with his determined fingers. When the list was done printing and handed to Slade promptly, he turned to look at the other two Tracers.

“And remember this,” Slade added as both his eyes glowed brilliantly, “keep better track of who comes through the doors.” Many broken bits were now levitating around Slade. Power radiated around him along with numerous bits of glass. One particular larger piece of glass was projected by an invisible force. The eyebrow raiser ducked from this piece with a yelp as Slade turned on his heel and left the building.

“Was that last part really necessary?” his best friend asked, amusement lit his eyes.

“You know sometimes I can’t help it. My emotions get the better of me. I hate it,” Slade replied.