Protecting What's Important

Obiyuki Week, Day Seven: Protect

Title: Protecting What's Important

DISCLAIMER: I own nothing in this fan-fiction except my horrible grammar and writing skills. All of the characters or cities mentioned in this fan-fiction belong to Akiduki Sorata unless said otherwise. Any references to real people or places are purely coincidental.

Synopsis: When Shirayuki gets kidnapped by the Sea's Talons, how does Obi feel throughout this whole ordeal?

SPOILER ALERT: This prompt was inspired by the Tanbarun arc (chapters 22 – 26), so if you haven't caught up that far, please don't read this. It will spoil a lot of the plot for you.

"Are you ready to go, Mistress?" Obi asked as he held out his arm for her to take.

Shirayuki gripped her dress tightly, anxiety clearly showing in her emerald eyes. "Y-Yes, but I'm afraid I'll do something wrong... If I do anything uncouth, it would reflect badly on Prince Zen and his country..."

It's just like her to doubt herself like that, even when she's so talented.

He waved her off. "Don't worry so much. If you just act like yourself, you'll be just fine."

She gave him a gentle smile and was about to say something when they were interrupted by an urgent knock on the door. "Excuse me? Lady Shirayuki and Sir Obi? We've received a letter addressed to you both."

They shared a sceptical glance before the ex-assassin went to open the door. "Who was the message from?"

The messenger gave him an apologetic look as he held out the letter. "My apologies, but we didn't open the letter and therefore have no idea who sent it. All we know is that we were told to deliver it to you post haste on the Royalty of Clarines' orders."

So that narrows it down to three people; Queen Haruto, Prince Izana, or Master, He thought as he took the envelope from the messenger. "Thank you for delivering this to me."

"What does the letter say?" Shirayuki asked once he had shut the door and made his way towards her, opening it as he did so.

He skimmed it over before answering, "'You can't go to the ball. It's not safe. Mihaya has discovered new information on the kidnappers. They know you're in Tanbarun.'"

Suddenly, a deep, cold chill enveloped them. They both turned towards the direction of the source and found a young boy standing on the railing. The balcony doors were forced open somehow and the drapes were flowing freely with the will of the wind.

He had an indifferent expression on his face at first, but then he smiled. "Shirayuki! Found you!"

"You're the pretty boy!" They both uttered simultaneously.

He continued to smile at them. "Although I am pretty, don't you think it's strange to say that in synchronisation upon our first meeting?"

Just then someone else jumped from the balcony, landing skilfully on the floor.

Obi quickly positioned himself in front of his mistress and held a protective hand in front of her. "Run away now, Miss!"

The man who had jumped down charged at him, quickly aiming blow after blow. He looked like he was a young man of about twenty and had a scar running across the left side of his face. Judging by the way he so easily dodged Obi's oncoming attacks, he was also a very adroit assassin who had previous experience in kidnapping someone.

"Someone hel—" His mistress' plea was cut short and he glanced quickly to see why. The pretty boy had somehow managed to pass him and had now succeeded in tying her up. Right now, he was covering her mouth with his hand to prevent any words from becoming audible.