chapter two

Faye loved her birthday, as much as Corazon made her get up early for it. With the big ball in her honor, with most of Faye's friends from other kingdoms coming to celebrate her, it was the one of the happiest days in the kingdom.

It was also a day for mourning.

On the day she was born, Faye's mother, Her Royal Majesty Reyna Liezel Diwata, died during birth.

Queen Reyna was a kind soul; she was graceful and treated all her subjects the exact same way -- fairly. During her reign, Nayilam prospered in peace and unity. Her husband -- Faye's father --, His Royal Majesty Crisanto Joselito Alon, was powerful, coming from the kingdom of Danao. He brought the order and discipline to Nayilam,, and together, they brought the right balance of strength and harmony to their kingdom.

But since Reyna died, Crisanto still ruled, in quiet fear. He was afraid that he would slip any minute without his beloved and turn into a tyrant. The year before, on Faye's fifteenth birthday, Faye had caught him crying very quietly in his empty bedroom before her ball, worrying about his reign. When she crept in, Crisanto immediately stopped crying, wiping his eyes.

"Papa, are you--" Faye started to ask.

"Yes, yes, mahal, I'm fine," Crisanto said quietly. "I was just... thinking about how grown up you were."

But Corazon was a terrible gossip and told Faye about what happened.

"So starting today," Corazon had said the day after her fifteenth, "your father is going to try to find a nice prince for you. Prince Charming. Ganda, di ba?"

"Now?" Faye had said with a mouthful of leftover party food in her mouth.

Corazon whacked Faye in the back of her head with a paper fan. "No, next year! For your next ball!"

Then Faye remembered -- today was "next year".

She suddenly dreaded her ball.

Faye had no time for boys. She was always preparing for her rule, if something were to happen to her father. Which wouldn't. Other than worrying over his reign, Crisanto made a big deal to stay in tip top shape so he could rule for a long time. He used to joke with Faye that she would have to pry his crown out of his cold, dead hands. Faye didn't mind; she still needed time before she would become queen.

"Why can't I rule by myself?" Faye asked Corazon that day as she went through her "History of Nayilam" book for what seemed like the umpteenth time ever (even on her birthday, she still had to study). Faye memorized the whole history of her kingdom by heart. "I can do it!"

"Not with that posture, you're not," Corazon snapped, urging Faye to sit up and stop slouching.

Faye groaned. "Do you think I'm too incompetent to run a kingdom on my own?" she kept quizzing.

Corazon's eyes widened slightly, eyebrows raised and nodding -- that was the face she made when she was impressed, and being Corazon, she was never impressed. "Incompetent. Good job implementing your vocabulary for this month into everyday jargon."

Faye nodded with a smirk. Then she shook her head. "But seriously though, am I really that irresponsible?"

Corazon just stared at the princess. "You snuck out last weekend, completely forgetting to close your bedroom window and closet door, which was messed up because you were trying to find clothes, before leaving. It's one thing to sneak out, Your Highness, but to leave the evidence in plain sight?" She scoffed. "Susmaryosep, Faye, can't you be a little more clean with your attempts to be... what's the word you use all the time...?" Corazon tapped her chin in thought.