chapter four

Faye woke up early the next morning. And she wanted to. She couldn't sleep, thinking of Marius.

Her sixteenth birthday was the best night ever. After they kissed, Faye spent the rest of the night talking with him. And more kissing. She closed her eyes, remembering how soft his lips were and the feeling of them against her own mouth. She remembered how safe she felt when his arms wrapped around her waist, his chin rested against her shoulder, and his breath whenever he spoke brushing against her cheek.

Faye sighed in bed. Maybe she could go up to his room. Him and his father were staying in the castle. Maybe Faye could sneak away to his room for a snuggle or something.

Faye stood up and stretched out her wings. She smoothed the sleeveless pink nightgown she wore, and even bothered to brush her hair out with a comb, making sure it wasn't tangled. She even gargled some minty mouthwash.

She glanced at the spellbook on her dresser. She grabbed it. Maybe have just a little bit of fun.

Slipping on her nicer slippers -- the ones that looked like ballet shoes, instead of her ratty bunny ones --, she tiptoed up to the guest room. She knew every room in the entire castle. The guest room was upstairs, a few flights up from hers. It was strategically placed away from Faye's own bedroom.

She smoothed her pajamas again, making sure it wasn't too short. Then she quietly creaked open the guest room door.

"Marius?" she asked.

No answer.

"I can't sleep, can I just bunk with you for a little bit?" she inquired, quietly.

Still no answer. In fact, she couldn't even hear his breathing.

"Marius?" She started to worry a little. Oh no, what if he died in his sleep or something?

She looked over his bed. It was empty and unmade. Maybe he was in the bathroom.

Faye stepped outside of her fiance's bedroom. She heard creaking noises, and it wasn't from her own feet. It came from the floor below her.

"Shh! You can't wake up the princess!" a voice hissed. It sounded like Marius's. Was he planning a surprise? Aw, how sweet of him.

Faye crept down the stairs, and almost screamed. It wasn't a surprise. Him, his dad, and two other people, big, burly men, were dragging someone downstairs. His eyes were closed, and his body was limp. It was Faye's father.

Marius suddenly turned around, and his eyes met Faye's. They were silent for a minute, before Marius told the big, burly men, "Get her."

The two of them started charging towards Faye, but she flitted away just in time. She flew into Corazon's room, which was at the top of the highest floor in the castle.

"Corazon, Corazon, wake up! Wake up, please!" she cried.

Corazon wasn't even there. Oh no, was she dead or hurt too?

"Princess!" a voice whispered from behind her. Faye jumped, only to see Corazon, already packed. She threw a big suitcase to Faye.

"I packed some things you'd need. We have to leave, now." Corazon's voice was deep and orderly, very uncharacteristic of her, but Faye just nodded and hurried out the window.

"I hear voices!" someone yelled.

"I think they're upstairs!"

Faye climbed up to the railing and jumped. When she neared the bottom, she fluttered her wings to keep her afloat. Corazon came diving after.