Regret takes its toll

Thomas went to school the next feeling really depressed but most all extremely worried. He was worried about the army coming to pick him up. What if he would have to go when he got home and they were waiting on his doorstep? He thought that the best idea to do first was to find James and John and see what their patents reactions were.

   After looking for quite a while, he finally found them talking to a group of girls who obviously weren't interested in the two boys. Thomas dragged them away from the group so that he could talk to them in private. "So," Thomas asked "What were your parent expressions when you told them?" James answers first. " My parents didn't really care much. They just looked at me as if I hadn't said anything to them." John spoke next.

  "My dad didn't really care much as he wanted me to go anyway but my mother burst into tears right there in front of me and she wouldn't talk to me at all. She must have been really mad."

   Thomas replied "That was how my parents reacted except my mother told me that I was going to die if I did go."

   Eventhough he was, Thomas didn't want to admit to his friends that he was extremely terrified of going off to war. It wasn't that he was terrified of dieing, it was that he didnt want to die and leave his family distraught because of it. He had always done his share to help around the house but his parents did most of the work and he was afraid that as time goes on, without him they may struggle to do things and they may need help, but because he was dead there was no one to help them through. Maybe, there was still time to say that he didn't want to join the army. He had a plan, he will go down to the recruitment office tomorrow and say that he would like to withdraw from the army. He had a plan, but that was about to change as he was about to find out...