Chapter 1

Eleanor

"That'll be $5.95," she said as she handed a cup of coffee to a lady.

Eleanor had graduated high-school four summers ago. Her aunt and uncle didn't have money saved for her college funds so they decided that they'd wait a couple years for Eleanor to go to college. A couple years turned into three and now four. She didn't even know what she'd study. Eleanor wondered what Park studied.

Eleanor got a job at the local coffee shop. She told herself that the money was for college but she just needed something, anything to keep her from thinking about Park's green eyes and the fact that she might never see him ever again.

For Park was her gravity. A force powerful enough Eleanor had fallen for him. A force strong enough he could sweep her off her feet, without even trying. And now, they were 380 miles apart.

Park

He got up from his bed and walked downstairs.

"You want something to eat?" His mom asked.

Park shrugged, grabbed the keys to the Impala and headed out. Park stepped outside. He felt the warm summer breeze blowing. Jesus, he missed Eleanor so much. And it wasn't like he thought of her all the time. He'd dated three other girls after Eleanor left - Sarah, Janet, and Kat - but no one compared to Eleanor's red hair and her bright smile. No body compares to Eleanor - his Eleanor.

He got in the car and drove.

Eleanor

Dear Park, Eleanor wrote on her new stationary paper. It's been years since she'd gotten a package from Park. To be fair, she hadn't written to him since the post card and it wasn't like she ever opened his letters. They remained words left unsaid, hidden in series of tears, nostalgia, and sleepless nights.

I... Miss you. Want you. Need you. Love you. Live for you. God, she was pathetic. Every time Eleanor tried to write to Park, she felt like she was being bothersome and annoying. It made her feel embarrassed. She crumpled the piece of stationary into a ball and threw it across the room. Eleanor took another sheet and tried one last time to feel self-conscious.

Park

When Park got home, he was greeted by his dad's voice and the sound of the TV playing softly.

"Park," his dad said as he motioned for him to come, "sit." Park walked over to his dad, sat on the couch, and raised his left eyebrow. "Your mom and I," his dad said slowly as if he was deciding whether or not he'd sugar-coat what he was about to say, "we're worried about you."

There was a long pause. Like each second lasted an eternity. The only sound was coming from the TV. The fans were cheering because someone had finally scored.

"Park," his dad managed, "it's been five years since Eleanor left. I think it's time to... move on. Start college."

"Move on?" Park said. It came out defensively.

"C'mon Park," his dad said hopelessly, "do you really want to spend your whole life like this? And college would be a damn good place to start moving on."

He didn't answer. He didn't say anything because god, what was there to say? He didn't even argue about the moving on part, partly because deep down, Park knew that his dad had been right. Deep down, he knew that Eleanor was probably off living her own life. Deep down, he knew that first love never lasts. But really deep down, he wanted to believe that all the things he thought he knew, were wrong.

When Park woke up the next day. His mom was waiting for him in the living room. Breakfast was ready but he wasn't even hungry. When his mom saw Park, she smiled and waved a white package at him.

"For you," his mom said as she handed Park the package.