Chapter 19: Cavalry

Before rushing to tell what happened with Alex, let's rewind a bit.

On Sunday I blogged about my shopping trip to Second Chance. I posted a pic where I wore one of the ridiculous outfits (cute peplum top combined with baggy yellow pants). In addition I added a few pics of the store and then a pic where I wore the new flower dress and the cardigan I bought. Publishing the post made me feel better about the bad comment I received and I felt like I could finally brush it off.

Quick tour across my bookmarks showed that Alexa Moon had updated her blog too. "The struggle is real" declared the title with a picture of three red handbags. With further reading I learned that Alexa couldn't have decided between the bags so she bought them all. As I wasn't much of a fashion connoisseur, I could only guess she had spent a small fortune.

Pushing my jealousy aside, I closed my laptop and texted a bit with Nora. She had some follow up questions about my evening with Danny and was disappointed when I didn't have anything juicy to tell. Rest of the Sunday I spent binge watching sugar oozing romcoms, even though I knew they would cause me to further distance myself from realistic expectations regarding romantic relationships.

***

On a Monday morning Mel was a nervous wreck. Beth was coming by so Mel could drive them to Beth's school.

"We could give you a ride to work, if you want", Mel said when she emerged from her bedroom for the 5th time. She was having a hard time to choose the perfect outfit.
"Are you asking me to be a chaperone?"
"No... Yes... Maybe a little." Mel shook her whole body. "I'm so nervous!"
I smirked. "Who are you and what have you done to my usually so cool and confident friend?"
"Yeah, yeah, mark your calendars." Mel rolled her eyes and then turned them into puppy eyes. "Just let me give you a ride."

Being a third wheel wasn't my thing but I made an exception for Mel. Shortly after that Beth arrived and Mel introduced us to each other. We exchanged pleasantries and just as we were ready to leave, Mel remembered that she needed to grab some of her gear. Beth took that as an opportunity to check her phone. She frowned and let out a sigh.

"Is everything alright?" I asked.
Beth glanced at me and I guess my friendly 'tell me everything' face did the trick.
"I'm having some problems with my girlfriend", she said quietly.

"Oh, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you two can work it out."
Beth sighed again and put her phone away. "Me too..."
"I hope I wasn't being too intrusive", I said and felt awkward for being so nosy.

Beth said it was nice that someone cared about her well-being. I was contemplating if I should say or ask something but then Mel barged out of her room with a big bag on her shoulder and hustled us out.

"Before I chicken out", Mel said with a wobbly voice.

In the car Beth tried to convince Mel that her students were great. Mel wasn't so easily convinced so Beth turned her attention towards me.

"So, Jane, where do you work?"
"I'm a librarian at the public library."
"Sometimes she prefers the term 'guardian of knowledge'", Mel said and we all chuckled.

We then talked about my work and then about Beth's work as a music teacher. She liked her job and was also trying to do her own music on the side. Quitting her day job wasn't an option for Beth because the competition was tough in the music business. Mel agreed and got absorbed in a lively conversation about the subject with Beth. I loved music but just as a listener, so after a while I zoned off.

***

Around noon I was shelving some books when I felt the hairs on the back of my neck rising which was followed by an unpleasant feeling. If background music would be possible in real life, I'd be hearing the music they usually play in movies when a shark is approaching.