Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I wake up from a vivid dream of Tobias. It only enforces my need to find him. I'm going to choose Divergent and I'm going to find him. I get up and throw on my Abnegation grey clothes. I go downstairs and help my mom make breakfast.

"Are you ready?" my mom asks me.

"As I'll ever be," I tell her.

"I just want you to know that no matter what, whatever you choose, we'll support your decision," she assures me.

"Thanks," I say, hugging her.

We eat breakfast and then it's time for the Choosing Ceremony. The walk to the Choosing Ceremony only takes about five minutes. We go in and take our seats last since we're Abnegation.

Caleb gets called up before me. He picks Erudite. This doesn't really surprise me since he chose Erudite in my Aptitude Test. I guess deep down I already knew. Now it's my turn.

As I get up, I scan the crowd for any sign of Tobias. I see none. Oh well, I was going to choose Divergent anyway. I pick up the knife, cut my hand, and let my blood drip on the scraps of plastic and metal in the Divergent bowl.

The reason for the scraps of plastic and metal is because Divergent celebrates differences. The plastic and metal are rejects from the factory run by the factionless. Sometimes people view Divergent as something to be rejected. Instead of being offended, Divergent views it as something to be celebrated.

Here's the thing about Divergent: it's very exclusive. Unlike the other factions, you can only get in if your Aptitude Test results are Divergent. If your test results are, indeed, Divergent, you can choose any factions. Almost all of them choose Divergent because of its' exclusiveness.

I go sit with the Divergent and watch the rest of the people choose. About ten of them choose Divergent and then the Choosing Ceremony is over. We get up and head outside where there are cars waiting. I've never been in a car since they're rarely used. In Abnegation, we walked everywhere.

"Hey, Stiff," a the guy sitting next to me says. His skin, hair and eyes are dark and his smile appears to be gleaming white against his bronze skin. "What's your name?"

"Uh... Tris," I say, liking the name I used in the simulation.

"I'm Uriah," he says, offering his hand for me to shake.

I shake his hand and look him up and down. He's wearing all black so I assume he's from Dauntless.

"Are you checking me out?" he teases.

"No, just figuring out that you're Dauntless."

"Not anymore. Well, sort of."

"What do you mean?"

"I felt Dauntless enough but I always knew I was Divergent. I never wanted to be just brave, you know?" I nod, knowing exactly what he means. "So is that why you chose Divergent?"

"Um, sort of," I say, not wanting to admit I'm chasing after a fantasy.

"Sort of?"

"Well, you see, in my Aptitude Test..." I trail off.

"Continue."

"There was this guy. Tobias Eaton. I fell in love with him and I guess I'm in love with him now. Is that weird?"

"Hmm..." Uriah murmurs, considering. "Seems plausible to me. So you transferred here to find him."

"Yep," I confirm.

"And what if he isn't here?"

"I have no idea," I answer truthfully.