Chapter Five

Chapter Five

We ride the elevator down to the dinning hall on the first floor. Everybody's already seated when we walk in. The food seems to be served buffet-style so we go wait in line.

"Awesome, they have pizza!" Uriah shouts.

"What's pizza?" I ask, confused. Uriah turns to look at me and his jaw literally drops.

"You've never had pizza before?!" he cries.

"No," I say, feeling stupid.

"Oh, man. You have got to try this."

I shrug as he places a plate on my tray. On the plate, are two triangular slices of something hot and cheesy which I assume is pizza. He gets some himself then we head further down the line.

"I suppose you haven't had potato chips either, huh?" he asks.

"Nope," I confirm.

"What did you eat in Abnegation?"

"Mostly plain chicken or fish with vegetables."

"Ew," he says, wrinkling his nose.

He grabs a bag of what must be potato chips and places it on my tray. We both grab water bottles then head over to a semi-empty table.

"Go ahead," Uriah prods once we've sat down. "Eat it."

I pick up the pizza and take a bite. Flavor explodes in my mouth. I never knew food could be this good. I swallow a glob of cheese and sauce.

"That is the best thing I have ever eaten!" I cry, making him laugh.

"Eat your chips," he insists.

I open the bag and sniff inside. It smells good so I pull out a chip. The chip makes a satisfying crunch as I bite down on it. My mouth is alive with the sensation of flavor. I grab a couple more chips and stuff them in my mouth.

"Good, huh?" he asks.

"Mhm," I say, nodding.

I gobble up the rest of the chips and pizza then sip on my water, content.

"I think that was the best meal I've ever eaten," I say, satisfied.

"I told you you'd like it," Uriah says and I nod.

"Um, can I sit here?" a girl asks. I look up and see a pretty girl with an excited gleam in her eyes who I'm assuming is another Initiate.

"Uh, I guess so," I say, glancing at Uriah.

"Hi," she says once she's seated. "I'm Marlene."

"I'm Uriah," he says, grinning. "And this is Tris."

"Earlier in the store today," she says quietly. "I heard you guys talking. You're planning something."

"W-what?" I ask, my voice catching.

"I know that you guys are planning to sneak into the top floor," she replies.

"How do you know that?" Uriah asks, astounded.

"That's not the point," she snaps.

"Well, what is the point?" I ask. A short silence passes before she speaks.

"I want in."

A/N- Okay, I know that Marlene isn't supposed to be divergent. I just added this because it goes along with my plan. No hate about it, please.