Chapter Fourteen: I'm Slipping Away

Chapter 14

I wake up hooked up to machines and wires. Great, back in this hell.

"Mat! You're awake!" I hear someone next to me say. I loll my head to the side to see Jerome and Reegan.

"Hi guys," I say, my voice almost gone. Jerome starts crying.

"I thought I lost you again," he whispers. I look at my heart monitor. My heart beat was very slow. I looked at my surroundings. I was on life support.

"Jerome, am I in hospis?" I ask, my voice scratchy. He nods as my daughter starts crying.

"Mat, don't leave us," he whispers, stroking my hand. I smile at him slightly.

"If I die, take care of Reegan and the baby. That is my only wish for you. And make sure Mitch never gets hold of her baby," I plead. Jerome stares at me with tears in his eyes.

"You won't die. Daddy you won't die!" Reegan starts crying. Jerome looks at her with sympathy.

"Could I have a minute with my daughter?" I ask Jerome. He nods before getting up and walking out of the room. Reegan sits next to me, taking my hand.

"Daddy, don't die. Please," she pleads. I stroke her hair with my hand.

"Baby, I don't want to die. But if it's my time to go, then it's my time to go. I'll see your mom, and Sam. And when it's your time, you will see me again. I promise you that. I love you so much, my sweet baby," I whisper. She starts to cry harder.

"Dad, how will I raise this kid on my own?" she whispers. I smile.

"You won't be alone, sweety. You'll have Jerome. And when Graham comes around after these five months of ignorance, he'll help you too. I'll be watching over you, and so will your mother. Honey, I love you so much," I whisper back. She burries her face in her hands.

"Daddy, stop saying that you'll die!" she cries. I stroke her hair.

"Honey, it is going to happen. When the rest of our family comes, I want you and Jerome to shut off the life support," I whisper. She starts to protest, but I cut her off. "Please Reegan. This is my only shot at the moment to see your mother again." She stops trying to protest.

"You really love Mom, don't you?" she asks. I nod.

"I love Jerome too, but your mother will always have a place in my heart that is irreplaceable. I'm so sorry," I explain. Reegan starts sobbing once again.

"Daddy don't leave yet," she pleads.

"Baby, I won't yet. I promise," I whisper. Reegan nods.

"Go get Jerome and tell him to call Adam, Jason, Rebecca, everyone. They need to be here before I die," I ask. She nods before she hurridly gets up and goes out into the hall. I lay back and think to myself about how I lived my life.

Could I have done something different? What if I never had Reegan? What would happen if I never married Jerome? I contemplate this until Jerome walks back in the room.

"Mat!" he exclaims, running over to my side of the bed. I smile at him.

"Hey biggums," I say, my voice getting softer than before. Jerome had tears running down his face, slowly then dripping off of his chin.

"Don't leave me," he cries. I smile.

"Jerome, I love you," I say. He smiles through his tears.

"I love you too."