Chapter 2: Revelations

“Akuma…” I whispered out low, apprehension, insecurity and aversion filling me up. But I knew that this was something necessarily, I was the only one who could be of any aid.

“I know this is too much to ask after everything you went trough because of me and our laws, but now both of our worlds are at stake.” He talked, looking at Sensou, who seemingly dreaded the fact that they came to me.

“How did those… hellhounds even escape? If you held them down once, that must mean that there is a way you can do it again, doesn’t it?” I was curious of the reason. It seemed it was something Shouten wished not talk about, judging by the facial expression he made when I mentioned that. The demon took a deep breath and sighed, looking at the cash machine, before pinning his emeralds in me once again. They were solemn, full of melancholy, something I rarely saw in those two winkers of his. This was going to be a serious matter and there was no way I could get out of it… So once again the human and demon had to pair up… I could only pray we all live after this…

“Listen… I was able to hold them down the previous time… using… the power your parents’ souls gave me…” he whispered out the last bit.

I was speechless. My parents… He… He knew them, but of course he was in the factory that night… But why souls… So many questions rushed trough my head all at once that I felt weak and sat back on the small chair.

”What do you mean my parents’ souls?! Explain what exactly is going on! You told me you didn’t have anything to do with their deaths!” I screamed and thank God no one heard me.

Akuma nodded slightly and I noticed Sensou closed his eyes slightly sighing deeply. I have never seen him this disturbed or serious before…

“Sumizome… The “Deathwish” with you… It is an exceptional contract… We demons may make those once in our full-time service…” he started explaining.

“What do you mean an exception… You told me that you had others like me…”I replied.

“I did… But your contract was made due to the request of your dying parents… You see, back in the factory, when I arrived, all of you were already severely wounded. Your breathing had stopped and your parents were barely breathing. Since they were close to the end they were able to see me. I explained to them that I will devour your soul and leave theirs to roam freely around, but they didn’t agree. They asked me if there was any way you could live… and there was.  I told them that if they give me their souls I can keep you alive and well trough the “Deathwish”, which would not affect your life span. They agreed to that and you can be thankful that their souls were quite satisfying… I made a vow to them that I would protect you as long as you live… The same vow I made to your brother.”

I was surprised… shocked… startled… I felt hot tears building up into my eyes and slowly dripping down on the shelf before me.

“T-then… I-I was never… going to die… K-kuragari… died… in vain…” I was shaking from both anger and sadness, my voice barely coming out of my mouth.

“No… you did die in the Netherrealm, so he indeed saved you… I am sorry I tell you this now, but it is law that I do not speak until we are under contract. And ours ended the moment I let you die… I am sorry, Sumizome…” he whispered, trying to place his cold hand on my shoulder, but I roughly brushed it away.

”Do not touch me… you… if it wasn’t for you… IF IT WASN’T FOR YOU, MY BROTHER WOULD HAVE NEVER HAD TO GO THERE AND DIE! AYAME WOULD HAVE NEVER SUFFERED; HIDAN WOULD HAVE NEVER GOTTEN HURT! I WOULD HAVE NEVER BEEN THIS CLOSED AND UNHAPPY!” I couldn’t control myself any longer. I clenched my fist and punched him in the jaw hard. He stood there, his expression not changing one bit, staring at the gray floor. Sensou tried to say something but decided it was best I was left alone. I was so confused… Tears kept falling down; I was shaking and had no idea what I was doing… I didn’t notice how I grabbed my things, told my boss I had urgent business at home and ran all the way to the house. I practically flew to my room, dropping on the bed and crying my heart out. It was all a lie… He lied to me trough all my life… And here I was, thinking that he was my important person… From that moment on, something inside of me flipped and I closed myself. Hidan tried to get me to talk trough the day, but I refused, saying I just felt bad. I didn’t see either demon trough the night, so I just thought they left.

After a long and severe night, I finally calmed down. Hidan made another attempt to speak with me. This time I decided to respond.

”Tell me what is wrong… and please, tell me the truth…” he said, taking my hand gently in his. I sighed and looked at him with swollen, red eyes.

“Akuma… returned.” Was all I managed to say? His sky-blue eyes widened and I could feel the grip on my hand tightened. I explained everything to him – about the hell hounds, about the help, about my past and reality. He listened to the whole story and reacted exactly like I did when I heard it.

”Surely you didn’t agree to help…” he said, expecting my answer to be “no”. I just looked away.

“Hidan… I do not wish to see that demon… But if I can save… the world… What choice do I have?” I looked at him.

“Are you kidding me?! Are you willing to go trough all that again?! I won’t allow it!” he raised his voice.

“I am not asking you! I am telling you that I will do it!” I jumped up.

“ … Then do as you please. I don’t want my life to be disturbed by those things again. Especially Akuma Shouten…” his voice was hard and raw. I didn’t care what happened… I was going to protect all of us… him…

“You can say what you want. I am going with them…” I said and stood up, ready to walk out.

“If you leave this room… We are done for.” I knew this was a threat for me to stay back, but no… I was not going to… For his own good… I left. A single tear dropped on the floor as I ran out of the house and straight to the park. It was empty right now, so I just sat under an oak tree and kept crying. I have no idea how much time had passed before I felt a presence near me.

“Sumi-chan…” I recognized the voice immediately.

“Why are you here, Sensou… Did Akuma send you?” I whispered, watching a leave dance on the grass.

“Iie…” the demon shook his head “I came to see you… I am so sorry about all that happened, but I am sure Hidan will—“

“He left me.” I cut his sentence in the middle.

He stood silently for a minute, before he pulled me gently in his arms. I was expecting his body to be cold, but it felt… warm…

“I am sorry for that too… But ya know, I’ll always be here… Ayame too… Kayako-chan… Even deathy will…” he grinned and made me smile too.

“Arigatou, Sensou… I am happy to have friends like you… It was just really… surprising news to me… but I will help in the fight against those creatures…” I said.

“We all thank you…”

We didn’t talk anymore… Just stood there, cuddling and watching the clouds fly by.

In the mean time Ayame was in her house, trying to figure out what to wear for work, when she heard a knock on the door. The female hurried trough the small hallway, opening and freezing. The man that stood there smiled at her gently.

“No way… It can’t be…” was all she was able to say, before she threw herself on him, wrapping her trembling arms around his neck. He hugged back, running his fingers trough her silky hair.

“Ayame…” Akuma whispered out.

“Akuma… I can’t believe you are here… my love… I knew you would come back… I knew you would come for me!” She smiled and cried, tightening the grip around him.

“I am happy to see you as much as you are, but I am here for a serious matter too…”

His words and appearance once again twisted the road our lives were headed for… Each and every small path everyone took would cross again and the everyday monotonous way of lie would once again become interesting, dangerous… filled with tears, pain, love… and even death…