Chapter 16

I started to pace quickly down the hallway. It was nearly an hour before training, and I needed to find Finnick so I could talk to him. I turned down to the next corridor and ran right into him. We both fell on the ground, laughing hysterically. My cheeks flushed red, hoping noone had seen that happen.

    I was so busy looking around and giggling that I hadn't noticed Finnick was no longer snickering. I stopped and caught the full, focus stare he was giving my face. He was so handsome. His intense, green eyes were indeed beautiful, and they seemed as if they could stare right into my thoughts. I tried to speak, but all I did was stutter, laying on him motionless. My brain screamed at me, but I felt as if it was someone's cloudy voice talking from a very far distance away.

     Fin cleared his throat. "We should get going." I blinked quickly and shook my thoughts out of this daydream. "Right. Sorry, it's just..." I caught sight of his eyes staring at me once again. "What?," he asked confused.

   "It's just, you have really beautiful eyes." Gosh, why did I just say that. I should have said something witty, but instead I tell him my thoughts. That's all that popped into my head at that moment. I mentally punched myself in the head. Stupid brain.

    I thought I'd blown it, but then he chuckled as if he was used to it. "Thanks, you have amazing eyes, too. They look like..." he paused."They're just swimmiming in different colors. I've been trying to decide what color they are for days."

    Okay, this moment was getting way too romancy for my taste. I really think I do like Finnick now, but I'm not ready for gooshy moments right this second. I grinned and playfully nudged his hard shoulder. "Stalker!" We both started to crack up again.

   Once he stopped laughing, he started to speak. "Wow, and for a second there I thought we were actually having a moment. " I stopped dead in my tracks. "What?"

 He said it again slowly as if I were a child who couldn't comprehend his words. You, Zaida Hastings, and I, Finnick Odair, were ALMOST having a moment." I faked a laugh. "A moment is where two people are actually enjoying the event."

   "Zaida, you SO were!"

 "I was not!"

  "You even said yourself that you were caught up in my amazingly handsome eyes!"

I could not let him win this arguement. "Okay, I admit, I like your eyes...", but he interrupted abruptly.

 "...and my stunningly sexy body!"

He did his ever-so-famous pose and I leaned to the wall and laughed like a maniac.

Once I calmed down a bit, I crossed my arms and leaned on my hip. I hadn't realized I was still against the wall until Finnick quickly put his arms on either side of me, trapping me between him and the wall. I stood there frozen. My brain had literally melted, and I couldn't think of anything. He started to move his face closer to mine, and I started to lean in, too. I went in to kiss him first, knowing that you almost always have the upper hand when you start.

    I put my hands on his chest, my brain starting to go on automatic, but his lips touched mine, an my arms just stayed there. All of a sudden, he pulled away. It was a short kiss, maybe a full second at the least. I denied to myself that i actually wanted to kiss him. He took a deep breath, and I knew that it wasn't just me who wanted that. He pulled awa further, and did an annoyingly conceited thing.

 He mockingly licked his lips, then winked. "Told you," he quietly whispered.He leaned to my ear and his lips barely caressed it. "I win." He pushed off the wall and walked away arrogantly. All that went through my mind-

                                                                                  Crap.