Chapter 14

Finnick

     I was scared. There's no other way to discribe it. The chariots, the big screens that will display us, and the millions of people screaming our names.  It was almost our turn. The District 3 chariot,along with the lovely Raynisha and the boy I was told named Reese,was moving out. Ziall came to the side of us and brushed his lips against Zaida's delicate hands.

      Hopefully noone saw my face turn red and my hands clench. The nerve of that guy. I shrugged it off. O well, Zaida can like him if he wants, and he can like her. I have Flint. Before I realized it, our chariot lurched forward and off we sped. 

    We entered into the large room containing millions of screaming fans. The nerve of those people, watching us kill eachother in a matter of days. Zaida grabbed my hand and scooted closer to me. We went forward a bit faster, and before we knew it, everyone was chanting "District 4!" I looked up at the big screen, and I have to admit we were a gorgeous pair.

     Our snow-white stallions glittered beautifully, and our chariot was amazing. It looked alive, the blue fluttering materials and decals of water, giving it the appearance of rippling waves. The brilliant sea color reflected all over us and amazingly well over the audience. Our outfits, or rather the golden nets draped over our bodies, infinitely helped. As we reached the end of the square, I caught death glares from other competitors along with a wink from Raynisha and a smile from another girl.

    I took my free hand and waved at the crowd, then smiling and showing my extremely white teeth, all thanks to Flint. But no time to think about her, this is Zaida's and my time to shine. I was perfectly happy at this moment. I wouldn't even mind doing this again someday.

     I heard people to the left of me screaming my name, and I saw about 10 different girls reaching their hands toward me. I tossed them a wink, and one girl fainted. I laughed. I looked toward Zaida, and she had her head held high and her hand that wasn't occupied in mine waving at everyone. She looked born to do this.

    She looked my way, and I caught her eyes. I don't know what I was thinking, but I leaned down and kissed her on her cheek. She looked startled for a second, but then smiled and blushed. I put my hand around her waist and she leaned in on my shoulder. This is the happiest I'd been in a long time.

~~~  

Zaida

     President Snow was talking away now, but every now and then he would look directly toward us. I couldn't blame him. Our watery reflections and our astonishing golden robes was quite distracting. The screens and cameras focused on us for quite awhile, and I could feel the other tributes eyes glaring at us from beside me.

When President Snow finished talking, I wished this moment would never end. With Finnick's arm around me and my head on his shoulder, I felt like nothing could hurt me. He was dazzling in his "clothes", and I couldn't stop looking at him. That's probably how every girl in the entire world felt, all envying me. I smiled at the thought.

     Finnick's lips were surprisingly warm against my cheek. He smelled great. I don't know what it was, but his aroma reminded me of home. The chariot once again thrust forward, and I wasn't ready for it. I stumbled, but Finnick caught me. He was almost holding me, and I laughed. He went along with it, too.

     When our chariots stopped, Finnick jumped out and so did I. He caught me in his arms, and once again I laughed. The cockiness of that flirt! I guess that's partly what made him so attractive, aside from his good looks and gorgeous personality. He truly was amazing.