Chapter 9

Chapter 9 – Unexpected complications

Link

I didn't get what was going on here. Shay, myself, and that loser JJ were dragged into the principal's office. In the shortest time possible mum, Shay's parents and Ali's parents were all crammed into the room with us. Shay still shook and looked distressed. She kept sending uneasy looks to JJ as she huddled closer to me.

I frowned and pulled her tighter against me, squeezing her hand to reassure her that I was here. Her big brown eyes showed stress and fear. She still hadn't told me what happened with that shit head, so I just glared at him from across the room.

"I would like to know what happened." A firm voice commanded from the doorway. We all turned to face the principal who paced into the room, authority in every step. All eyes turned to look between JJ and Shanay.

"He wouldn't let go of me." Shanay said into the silence as she plastered herself against me.

"I thought we weren't going to have a problem?" the principal turned to Ali's parents who looked embarrassed and frustrated.

"We didn't know anything was going on." JJ's dad said with a shake of his head before turning with a disapproving frown to JJ.

"He's been bothering Shanay for weeks now and you didn't know?" I questioned, my voice bordering on anger.

Mum sent me a keep quiet purse of her lips but there was no way in hell I was backing down from this. His parents looked at me in shock, which pissed me off even more.

"No, we didn't. Are you alright, Shanay?" JJ's dad turned to Shay who shook her head. He turned back to his son with a fierce glare. "We discussed the requirements of your behaviour before you came here. You agreed to our terms. Do I have to send you back?"

I watched as JJ shuddered at the harshly said words. He shook his head and watched his father with something akin to horror in his eyes. What was this all about? I still didn't get any of the crap that was going on here but at least something seemed to have shaken JJ.

"He wants me to be his girlfriend but he keeps being so mean to me," Shanay admitted. "I'm with Link now but JJ... still doesn't want to accept it." I saw both her parents and mum smile at us and I couldn't help the grin that bloomed on my face at their response.

"I see. Do you want to press charges against his behaviour?" the principal asked Shanay while peering over the top of his glasses at us.

"Uh, no, I just want him to leave me alone." Shanay answered as her fingers tightened the tiniest bit in mine.

"You're such a drama queen, Shanay!" JJ sneered from where he stood until his father glared at him.

"Where do you get off, arsehole? You've done nothing but spread nasty rumours about Shanay all day and now you're accusing her of being dramatic? Look in the mirror, JJ!" I shouted across the room at him.

"Lucas," Mum chided me but I didn't give a damn. The guy was a dick and the sooner he realised it the better off we would all be.

"So bullying and harassment? Just like in your old world, hmmm?" the principal turned thoughtful. "For that, Joel, you have a suspension for the next week. Improve your behaviour or you may end up back where you started." The older man's voice went stern with warning and JJ's mouth flopped open in shock.

I was still in the dark beyond knowing the guy was an arse, which I had known a while ago. I got the feeling that JJ had been more of a troublemaker than I had ever thought.

The principal sent us off after that. After some fussing from both lots of our parents, they finally let us go home. I knew we were going to deal with questioning like nothing else when they got home but I didn't care. I wanted to make sure that Shay was okay.