Chapter 1: The Story Begins

"Momma, momma!" Madeline calls from her bed.

"You're gonna let me leave your room, won't you?" Nerida chuckles as she stands in the doorway.

"We want a story!" Maddy pouts.

"Yeah, tell us the story about how you got with mom!" Strax begs with puppy eyes.

Nerida rolls her eyes jokingly and turns out of the door, "babe! They wanna hear the story again."

Emma jogs out of the living room, walking back into the kid's room with Nerida, "the story?"

"You know it," Nerida responds with a smile while sitting on the edge of Madeline's bed.

"Alright," Emma starts, taking a seat on Strax's bed, "it all started when we were young.."

A four-year-old Emma played on the dock near her house, her parents talking to friends. They didn't realize that their little one had run off.

Nerida was swimming too close to the humans in broad daylight, but she just wanted to get a closer look. Being a mermaid, she had to hide whenever she thought a human could see her. She decided to take refuge underneath the old dock. It was the perfect place to sightsee without being seen.

The rocks were small but big enough to hide a seven-foot three-year-old, about half her height from her tail.

Little Emma was playing around the edge when she fell. She was terrified, flailing violently and trying to grab onto anything.

Nerida watched her for hardly a second, and then she felt her body moving. Without even thinking about it, she went to save the other girl, not caring about her own safety.

Within moments, Emma was in Nerida's arms, and they were swimming back up to the surface.

Nerida lifted Emma as high as she could and called, "you have to pull yourself up!"

Emma pulled herself back onto the dock and laid there coughing, hoping to catch her breath.

She then looked over, hoping to see her savior, only to see the last glimpse of a tail as she swam back into deeper waters.

A connection was made that day, one that neither of them would forget. Emma ended up moving the next week, but that wasn't the last that they'd see of eachother.