Goodbye

A/N

I know I usually update on Tuesdays but I wanted to publish an extra little chapter today because I was inspired to write a short chapter about Ana and Newt's families, and part of their background.

It's from when they were about to board the train in District 9 and were saying goodbye to their families. I skipped that part when I was writing the first few chapters because I didn't have any idea what to do for it.

I thought it was very appropriate to publish this chapter on Mother's Day too, so enjoy! And you can also look forward to the new chapter on Tuesday!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Newt

Before we could board the train, we had to say goodbye to our families. I didn't really have a proper family, though, just the people who had adopted me. My real parents had died in a fire when I was too young to remember and I was lucky enough to have not been with them when it happened.

My adoptive parents didn't care about me. They already had two kids of their own and weren't very happy about getting me. I was an outcast. But I still had to say goodbye to them.

They sat in the chairs across from me, not knowing how to start off the conversation. After a short, awkward moment of silence, my adoptive dad finally spoke.

"I guess this is goodbye, then," he said, quite bluntly, not even looking into my eyes.

"Yeah," I replied. They didn't even have the slightest bit of faith in me. They were ready for me to die in that arena. They weren't expecting me to return. They didn't even say one word of actual encouragement.

"We'll miss you," my adoptive mother added, in the same kind of tone. I could tell that she didn't even mean what she was saying. They wouldn't miss me at all. They never saw me as a proper son and I never saw them as anything more than just the people I lived with.

Time was up. They left without another word.

~~~

Ana

My mother came in to say goodbye to me. She was the only family I had left, but she cared about me a lot. She sat down beside me and pulled me into a big hug, trying to hold back her tears.

"Be strong for me, Ana," she said, still clutching my shoulders.

"I will,"

"I know you don't like what Newt did for you, but he is a really good friend, and I trust that he'll stay by your side," she added.

"Yeah. We'll stick together, I promise," I said, "But you stay strong too, Mom. Don't give up hope. I'll try my best to come home to you,"

"I'll be waiting right here for you, Ana," she said, "I promise,"

"I love you, Mom," she pulled me back into a hug, I could feel her starting to sob into my shoulder whilst I did the same into hers.

"I love you more," she whispered.