Quarters

I look around frantically for anyone who might have spare change. "Do you have one? A quarter? Not a single person here has a freaking quarter?" I keep searching. Not a single quarter in the whole classroom. 

And then I see it. On the floor, shiny as new, not a single other person running to claim it. So I pick it up. " I have your quarter," I say to Kelsey. 

She nods. "I see that. And what is this quarter for?"

"Hugs," I say almost shouting. She pockets the quarter and pulls me into a big bear hug, standing on her tiptoes to try and place her chin on my head. I wince as she brushes her hand on a large bruise on my back.

"What," she demands.

"Its-Its nothing," I respond.

"Katherine Lily Claire. Tell. Me. Whats. Wrong. Now."

"Nothing," I repeat, sharper this time so she'll believe me. Honestly, its so far from nothing that I couldnt lie more to her. Cooper tried to kiss me. Again. It was harsher this time, though. He shoved me into a wall and then decided to close a door on me so I couldnt escape. So I kissed him. I had to. And now Im mad I did. And after that he ripped off my shirt exposing my bra. He tried to grab at my boobs but I turned away. At least he didnt hurt me more.

"Its not nothing, bitch."

"Yes, I swear, its fine. Now leave it alone and hug me."