A Shade of Jealousy

Stiles is Derek's mate. But Derek refuses to let him know that. So what's a wolf to do when Stiles starts to see someone new.

************************************

STILES POV

"We're outside the station now" I huffed annoyingly at Scott who was on the other end of the phone call

"Okay dude do you know what you're going to ask him?"

"I'm just the distraction, Mr.Sourwolf is the one that's going to be interrogating him" I explained "I still don't agree with this plan. I mean I get there's a lot going on right now but you assume everyone is a suspect"

"I know but you gotta admit that Sam kid was a bit strange. Just let me talk to Derek" I rolled my eyes tossing the phone to Derek who was sitting in the driver's seat of his camaro. Their conversation was quick, I could hear Scott ask a few questions then Derek ended it with a swift click of a button, and handed me back the phone.

There were attacks happening all around town, people being drained of blood, or pieces of flesh missing. This most recent one was the first to end in a death. They were definitely the works of a supernatural creature, which one was yet to be discovered.

At the moment Derek and I sat outside the police station waiting for my dad to leave so we could question a possible suspect who was currently just booked on public intoxication. But the only thing going through my mind was the unpleasant silence passing between the two of us. See for about 3 years now I've had a crush on one Derek Hale, and for a little over a month now he's been aware of it.

~FLASHBACK~

We had just finished a pack meeting when Lydia and I decided to hang back and help Derek straighten up the loft. Everything was going smoothly until a particular strawberry blonde decided to let it 'accidentally' slip that I had a little, big crush on Derek. To make matters worse she left immediately after letting the two of us sit in awkward silence. I guess that's what I get for choosing her as the only one I'd confide in.

"Is it true?" Derek asked killing the silence

Laughing nervously I told him "If you believe everything you hear from Lydia you'll be questioning a lot of things"

"Just answer the question" he was pressing and I was stalling. Whether I was ready to profess my undying love for Derek or not it was happening and I couldn't stop it.

"Yes. I do have feelings for you" it hung in the air, and for a while Derek let it by not speaking.

"Stiles you can't feel tha-"

"I know I shouldn't -"

"I'm serious" he said his voice more stern "Just go home and forget about all of this"

And that's what I did, or at least tried to do. The image of Derek basically telling me we can't be together was burned in my head.

~END FLASHBACK~

I couldn't believe how awkward Derek was being around me. I mean I was the one who was rejected, and I was the one who had to live with it.

"So who's Sam?" Derek asked startling me back to reality.

"What?"

"On the phone, Scott said something about a Sam"

"Oh he was on the team we played last week, he asked me out after the game. I honestly think Scott only thought he was strange because he was interested in me" at this Derek let out a shaky breath, like it was a hard topic for him. I didn't understand why, at least I was trying to move on.