Shelter From The Storm

The Hale pack are enjoying a nice night when they catch a young werefox seeking shelter. They decide to take him in. He becomes family to them, and something more to Derek.

************************************

For the first time in years, it was going to snow on christmas. The snow was fresh and clean it was a promise for a great year to come. We had been at my family's house all surrounded around the fire ready to start dinner. My mother was in the kitchen with Laura who had banished us from entering until the food was done. My father was standing in the corner giving my older brothers hell about something. Through the frosted windows I could see Cora outside on the phone with who I presumed was her crush of the week. And then there was me, I was sitting in the den with my pack listening to Isaac and Erica argue about something that could easily be googled. I smiled nonetheless happy with the family that surrounded me.

As things began to wind down the the pack began to settle I got this longing feeling in my chest. Isaac was curled up beside Jackson kissing his cheek lovingly, Scott and Malia were making googly eyes at each other, Lydia was openly blowing raspberries on Allison's face, and much to his dismay Erica sat on Boyd's lap taken an endless supply of selfies. I ached for that feeling, that connection, that need to just be close to someone. I swore off dating after Paige, it was just what was best, but then I tried to get back out there and my heart just wasn't in it. Supernatural or human It was starting to become clear that there would never be anyone meant for me. Fortunately my mother came into the room pulling me from my pity party with the announcement of dinner.

We were all seated and had begun to pass the food around when my mother froze, and gazed out the window from her place at the head of the table "What is it?" my father asked as Talia's head snapped up gazing out the window like she had heard something. She didn't have to answer before the sound came again, loud enough for every wolf and human at the table to hear. With it came the smell of a supernatural creature, one I had never ran into before. The sound was coming from the side of the house, I wasn't sure but it sounded like the trash cans rattling together. Without thinking we all got up from the table rushing outside. Living in Beacon Hills the smallest thing could be perceived as a threat. Lydia was holding a flashlight guiding it over the fallen trash cans. It looked to be an accident maybe the wind, but then came a whimper and a smell I couldn't quite describe. The closer we got to it, the clearer I could see it, a sudden flash of orange, then white.

"Stay back" my mother called out, but I took her hand in mine stopping her.

"I'll go" I peered around the cans and seen him, it was a boy, eating leftovers from the trash. He was in a ratted and dirty grey hoodie, and the pants around his waist were baggy only staying up because he had a tight grip on the hem. He noticed me and got up to run away but his ankle was red and swollen, he tripped over the flash of orange I seen earlier and fell onto his arm making him whimper. He cried out backing up and away from me until his back hit something hard.I reached out for him and he flinched so fiercely  he bumped his head on the brick wall he had backed himself up against "Hey, I'm not going to hurt you okay"

"What is it?" Cora called out.

"It's a boy"

We got him into the house and in front of the fire. He had been shivering and frozen from the snow outside, but the damage didn't look too bad. He flinched at any sudden movement but around the third attempt we were able to get the ratty hoodie off of him. With the bulky top off of his body I could finally tell what that flash of orange was that I seen outside. He had a large fox tail sticking from his jeans, and the more he relaxed the ears pressed to his head began to rise again.

"Honey what's your name?" My mother asked once he was warm and settled. He didn't answer, he stared at the fire intrigued and quiet. The closer I looked the better I could see the blood dripping from what I guess was a head wound "Where did you come from sweetheart?" again no reply. She sighed and rubbed his back before she turned t us "I'm going to go get him settled in the spare room upstairs, maybe he'll be more willing to talk after he's gotten some sleep"