scott

Scott wasn't the best at socializing. His voice always seemed to fail him in those situations. He didn't know, and he couldn't control it, which made him feel bad because that's usually how he ended up alone at parties. So when Mitch mentioned bringing a friend to see him, you could imagine how terrified that made Scott feel.

The sheer thought of having to face someone scared him. And now you may be thinking so why does he work in a coffee shop? Easy. Minimal talking does just the thing for Scott, he basically has a script of what to say to the customers as they wait for their beverage.

In fact, Scott was so scared that he insisted Mitch forget all about the meeting and just come on his own. It was easy to talk to Mitch, because they had known each other for so long, but to suddenly add a new person to their life?

"I'll make him a latte," Scott mumbled to himself as he read the text from Mitch, showing that they would be there in five minutes. "No no Mitch said he doesn't like coffee. Hot chocolate? No, it's too hot for that."

Scott worried himself with unnecessary matters that only added to the stress and anxiety he already carried. "I'll give him water," he slapped his hand on his knee. "That's boring!"

Throughout all of his worrying, Scott found himself looking at the door excitedly every time the bell dinged, hoping it would be his new proclaimed love— according to Mitch.

They walked through the door right on time. It made Scott chuckle, because Mitch was so tedious about everything, even down to the exact times.

"Hey Scott. I'll have the usual please," Mitch told him quickly and bounced on his tiptoes as he slid glances at the boy with him.

Scott smiled brightly and nodded, looking to the boy— who was rather handsome— and realizing why Mitch was so adamant on them meeting. He was the epitome of pretty.

"And what can I get for the Pretty Boy?" Scott inquired and a wave of anxiety shot through his body immediately. His embarrassment settled in as a blush ran across the boy's face, a shy smile appearing to his features.

"I don't like coffee," he replied and while Scott already knew that for a fact, his stature wavered at a loss, because most people came in already knowing their order— and it was usually coffee.

"I'll get you blackberry tea," Scott told him. He picked the first thing he saw on the menu, that wasn't coffee, of course.

And between then and serving them, Scott managed to call him Pretty Boy again. He wondered if the nickname made the boy uncomfortable, but he couldn't bother to use anything different because, for starters, he didn't know his real name(Mitch had refused to tell him) and he also couldn't think of a better name for him. It was quite literally what he was— a pretty boy.

The two occupied the never-used-table in the corner, clearing it of dust with their hands as they waited for Scott to finish his shift.

Scott's mind wandered for his last twenty minutes of work. He thought about his awkward encounter with the boy, and he replayed how much more perfect it could have gone if he had just been a bit more civil. A sigh escaped his lips as he walked to the back room to clock out and take off his apron.

Maybe this could work.