Chapter 2

Grey gasps. I wince. I guess Carmen never said anything about her sister. And Grey never said anything about his ex. Or his drinking problem, considering the fact that Carmen is continuing to hands him drinks and drinks. Grey looks like he is about to say something when the DJ calls out, 

"Let's give a warm Club Oracle welcome to Carmen Rochester and Grey McMann!" Carmen pulls Grey away. I finally get a good look at Carmen's outfit. She's wearing a traditional white gown that looks a lot like my mother's. Except for the fact that it has paint splatters all over it. Grey's tuxedo is the same way. Of course my mom would let her do that.

"We hope you're all having lots of fun! Dinner will be served in one hour!" Carmen yells excitedly. Grey is covering his eyes from the spotlight. He looks uncomfortable. 

"And remember everyone, drinks are on us!" Grey says mock excitedly into the microphone. Carmen grabs the microphone back and lets out a whoop of excitement. Suddenly there is a loud bang. The floor beneath Carmen seems to let loose, like a trapdoor. She screams as she falls through. Everyone gasps as the door closes. 

                                                                                   ***********

Grey is trying desperately to open the trapdoor, but to no avail. Grey is screaming for help. I rush up to the stage. Grey grabs onto my shoulders and shakes them furiously. 

"Scarlet, what are we going to do?" He screams in my face. His breath smells like alcohol. 

"Calm down." I say. "We'll find her!"

"But what if we don't?" I swallow hard. I look out at everyone. Staring at us expectedly. 

"Wow, how bout those special effects?" I say as I start clapping. Everyone joins me. "We're going to go get Carmen now. Nothing to worry about here." All of the guests go back to partying. 

"Special effects?" Grey asks.

"I made it up to calm everyone down," I explain. Grey smiles. He reaches for my hand. I give him a look and pull away. "We have to find Carmen." Grey and I walk off the stage. We decide to go outside for some air. And to brainstorm where Carmen might be. 

Suddenly a newspaper blows by. There is an article about a missing person on it. I pick it up and gasp. The name of the person has been crossed out in green marker. In its place it says Carmen Rochester. I flip it over to see more green writing. 

"If you want to see your girl again, follow my exact words. Go to the bathroom. Find the next clue. If you break the rules, I kill Carmen." 

Grey and I exchange a glance. We walk towards the bathroom in silence.