Elizabeth

"There is nothing more necessary than good intelligence

To frustrate a designing enemy, and nothing requires greater pains to Obtain"

-Letter of George Washington to Robert Morris

It had been a week and I still couldn't stop thinking about that damn Isaac Bellingham. I didn't know why I couldn't forget about him. But his words, "I don't even know what I believe." Played over and over again in my head. And I still didn't know why.

"Claire?" I called over to my sister who was sitting still, being a perfect lady and embroidering. "I'm going over to the store."

"Mother said you must stay here!" She said in a insufferably obedient tone. I sighed.

"Yes but I'm going." I said again, depositing baby Nan in her lap.

Then before she could say another word I was dashing out the door, shoving a scarf around my neck.

"Goodbye!' I called with a grin on my face. Sometimes sisters can be just too ladylike and too obedient.

When I reached the door of the store I swung it open, humming to myself. Then I stopped in my tracks and knocked over a box of yarn when I saw who mother was helping. To my surprise, it was good old Isaac.
I bent over to pick up the box of yarn I had knocked over and made a racket, causing mother to look up. She shook her head.

"I knew you would come. Lizzy! You're not supposed to be here. You're supposed to be taking care of the baby. You may as well help Mr. Bellingham.

"Right." I said. She nodded approvingly and headed towards the back room and I took her place behind the counter.

"You." I stated.
"Me." He smirked at me.
I shook my head, trying to distract myself from the strange feeling in my stomach. "What can I help you with, sir?"
"My friend told me he needed new shoes, and I told him I knew the place to go. He unfortunately could not come today, so I'm here without him." Isaac leaned against the counter, smirking.
I pressed my lips to together and then spoke . "Do you think he's the same size foot as you?"
"Oh, I would assume so." He stood up straight, and furrowed his brow.
His sudden professionalism somehow made that strange feeling become worse. "I will be right back, sir." I hurried into the back of the store.
My mother was staring at me, with a sly expression. "That soldier is back hmmm?"
"Yes." I murmured, looking up at the shelf to find a pair of shoes like the ones I sold Isaac a week ago.
Although I couldn't see her face, I could feel her smiling slyly at me. "Well that's... interesting. He seems like a sweet soul. If only he weren't fighting for the wrong side."
I cocked my head at her, puzzled as to what she was saying.

"Yes?" I said, standing up with a pair of shoes in hand. "Let me get back to him, you always say to not let the customers wait."
She nodded. "Of course. I'm surprised you remembered a word I said." She said with a conspiratal smile.
I left without another word, rushing back to Isaac. He was still standing in the same spot, grinning at the door. "I thought you'd never come back."
"Well, I did. I am selling you shoes, remember?" I held the shoes up.
This time, he blushed. "Right. Erm - I may have been lying. My friend doesn't quite need shoes. In fact his are perfectly nice ones. I always wished for a good pair like his until I came-" He stopped. And then started again. "Right, so I lied.
"Oh. And why would you do such a thing?" I asked. It's seemed a puzzled expression was permanently frozen on my face.

"I quite just wanted to come back to see you. It was wrong of me to lie. I'll be off now."
He began to walk out of the store.
"Wait!" I called after him. But he was already outside, smirk in place.

I hated that smirk with every fiber of my being.