10 - i've got you

Heather's PoV

Empty. Not completely empty but definitely not busy. Just a customer here and there. Loners drinking their cheap beer. The only who stands out from the others is a middle aged man, apparel and tie, grizzly hair and a sad expression while he drinks his scotch.

It's Christmas Eve. Not a lot of people are expected today. My boss never closes on Christmas. He knows way too well that somebody will always show up in this city of angels full of people with broken dreams. An alcoholic without a family or a hooker will always show up, even on Christmas Eve.

Everyone always tries to run away from working the night shift today. Not me. While others have who to spend Christmas with or actually celebrate it, I don't.

I see the middle aged man shaking his empty glass in the air and I get the message, walking to him with the most expensive bottle of scotch we have, the same one he asked for when he walked in thirty minutes ago.

I fill up his glass and look into his melancholic eyes.

"Tough night?" I ask, not even knowing what to expect.

In this bar, I've seen it all. From homeless alcoholic men that got some way in and beg for just a sip of something to family men who walk in with a hooker under their arms and their wedding ring in their finger.

"Don't tell me." The man says before take a good sip from the refilled cup.

"Is there anything I can do for you, Sir?"

"Just if you could bring my wife back, otherwise, no, there's nothing you can do for me."

The man wasn't even rude with his words, just sad and heartbroken. Did this man's wife just died on Christmas? Poor man.

"Actually, you can." He says before I can leave him alone. "Leave the bottle."

Slowly, I put the half full bottle on the table. "I'm sorry about your wife... for whatever happened to her."

"You shouldn't be."

Now I'm caught off guard and curious.

"That bitch ran away with my business partner today. From all the other 364 days of the year she chose today." He tells me.

His story is not a new one. We've heard it before, seen it movies and read it in books. But it's heartbreaking seeing this man like this. He wants to play tough like he doesn't care about her, but you can see that he still loves her and wants her back just like he asked me.

"I'm so sorry for what happened to you, Sir, specially today. I bet you were an amazing husband to her and she's the one who's losing a great person beside her." I say, trying to comfort this poor man from his heartbreak.

"Thank you, miss, for your kind words."

"If you need anything, besides for me to bring your wife back, call for me." With this, I can get a chuckled from the grizzly haired man and I leave him alone.