Eleven

I froze, my mind going into autopilot. My hands went instinctively to my sides, ready for combat. I knew not to turn around, as that would blow Magnus' cover, but I heard his footsteps behind me. My teeth gritted, and I wanted to call out, "What are you doing? Get out! Pretend you were never here!"

Unfortunately, he didn't seem to get my annoyed expression. He opened his mouth to speak in a calm voice. "Hello, Seesilia."

My mother's eyes narrowed, her mouth going into even more of a frown. "That is not your name to say, monster."

"Yes," Magnus said calmly. "It isn't. But it was a right that your daughter deserved to know. Something she actually wanted to hear. Something mothers and daugghters share with each other." Magnus' voice was firm and focused, his cat eyes narrowed. I glance at him in amazement and disbelief at the same time he didn't look at me.

"I was preparing her for a world a a Seelie Princess. She needn't know about my life before her, or about her father. We would be eternal together. Their would be time for her to hear whatever she liked. But now, in the little time that I knew her-" She focused her eyes on me. "I just wanted to make her rely on me. And perhaps understand her powers."

"Understand my powers?" I suddenly thundered, and instantly, my fingers started to spark up. Magnus glanced at me, wanting me to stop, but I couldn't. My anger flared something inside of me. I took a deep breath, but couldn't stop it. "Have you ever considered how many times I wanted to learn and know more about myself? And you took that chance away from me? That's what I call cowardice, because for some reason, you don't want me to know anything about you."

My mother looked down. "You did not deserve to know. To not know that hurt. That is why I told you nothing-"

"You are a liar," I hissed. "You just wanted to use me, didn't you? For my powers?" My mother said nothing. I took a deep breath, but I was in no more control of myself. The Seelie Queen's eyes widened by a fraction. Her chin shook.

"I did," she admitted, very slowly. I stared at her, then to Meliorn, who had stood still and silent by the throne's side. he nodded his head to tell me she was telling the truth. I finally looked down, and then up again. My hands were still sparking blue.

"Magnus and I are leaving the court. He is bringing me home. That's all. I'm not coming back here."

"That is what I won't let you do," the Seelie Queen said at last, her chin no longer trembling. I stared into her eyes, and slowly raised my hands.

"We. Are. Leaving." I whispered. "There is nothing you can do or say or anything. I am leaving you, Queen, because you are the true monster here. Not the Shadowhunters, not Magnus. You."

She just smiled, her head still raised in triumph. "You've forgtten," she murmured. "I am a faerie. Your rules and regulations are nothing to me." She looked from me, then Magnus. "If you choose to leave, I will force you to stay. But, warlock, you mean nothing to me. Meliorn."

Meliorn stirred from his rigid standing position and walked forward. The Seelie Queen jerked her head to Magnus. "Kill him."

Things happened all at once. Meliorn took steps towards us, and both Magnus and I were in action, using the same motions to ward him off. He fell into a wall about ten feet behind him, making an indent before falling and groaning.

The Seelie Queen grinned slightly. "Lovely," she murmrued, clapping. "Just lovely. Now, as you probably know, no one is strong enough to beat me." She held out her arms. "Try."

Magnus and I did another simultaneous move, bringing our hands up and down in one swift motion. My mother quickly warded it off. I scowled, raising an eyebrow. Magnus grabbed my hands, both our pointer fingers out. A burst of bright light eminated from our fingertips, but the Seelie Queen only giggled.

"Close," she said. "But not close enough."

She outstretched her arms and sent a pulse of red light to Magnus, fast and hateful. He was flung back, and I heard a sickening crunch sound. "Magnus!"

The Seelie Queen turned to me, eyes unforgiving. "Awsten," she murmured. "You could've been everything. And now, you will be nothing. Nothing at all. I have given you chances, but those chances are no loner in affect."

"Then kill me," I whispered. "That's all there is to it."

She raised her hand, whispering under her breath. I stared at her, then turned on my heel and ran to Magnus. Judging from the spell, I had less than four seconds left. My habds did quick healing work, mending his broken bones and bruises. He turned on his side, quick to sit up. I stared in his eyes, one hand still on his shoulder. He saw it in my eyes; His head turned to the Seelie Queen, and widened.

Then she struck me.

It was as if she'd set me on fire for an infinite amount of time. I screamed, pain coursing through me. I heard Magnus' cry, "Andrea, no!", and the sound of him running towards me. Two seconds later, I was being cradled on his lap. Tears streamed down my face, the pain too much.

I felt Magnus' habds trying to heal me, but he couln't make a dent in the pain. I cried out, my eyes closing, and drifted for maybe a second ir two. My eyes closed.

"Andrea! Don't leave me now, okay? You remember what we talked about? Never leaving one another. You're just as immortal as I am. Stay, please, I'm begging you."

"Things aren't meant to last, Magnus. We talked about fate, not immortality."

"You love me, don't you?"

"Of course. That's an unfair question." A flare of pain worked its way up my side. I cried out. Magnus grasped my hand, cradling my head in his lap and wrapping his free hand around me. "I don't want to leave you. I will never leave you. But you...you were meant for immortality. I can't live like this, Magnus."

"Don't talk like that, Andrea Yates. Don't you dare."

"You'll find someone else, someone better. Someone who can give you what you want." I felt my hand run through his hair, then nothing. "I've seen this before," I whispered. My hand dropped to my side. My eyes went glassy, very slowly.

"Andrea, no, no-"

And I died.