Chapter 2 - The Chance Encounter

All Rights Reserved

Chapter 2 - The Chance Encounter

Being Alexandria Doukas was hard.

The only daughter of a Spanish heiress and a shipping magnate, one would definitely consider me sheltered and privileged, which was something that I wasn't denying.

I had three brothers in total, two older brothers and a younger one. Even though I wasn't the youngest in the family, I was always treated with utmost delicate care despite being twenty-four years old. It wasn't as if I was a spoilt brat that demanded my own independence, but there were times that I felt I was held on a too-high pedestal.

My parents expected me to be responsible and close to perfection. No, they weren't awful and horrid. In fact, I love them with all my heart. It was just... at times, they could be rather overbearing and protective.

I clutched harder onto my jacket. New York was still a little cold for me during June and I was out shopping for a little present for Kat and Raphael's wedding gift.

I was actually glad that Kat was busy with wedding preparations and not tagging along with me. It would be hard to even get a gift for her with her very vivid commentary.

Thinking about Kat made me think about the night at her first bachelorette party. And that of course led to one of the biggest regrets of my life.

With the cold light of day, I was kicking myself for not being brave and daring enough to take that offer of a dinner date. He had been charming, polite and wasn't like the drunk wasted crowd at the club.

What had I been thinking?

Of course, after psychoanalysing myself when I got home, it was due to the many insecurities I had. I knew that I was furious at myself for that. Hadn't I agreed to start fresh and not allow my decisions and my life be affected by them?

But I had to admit that the fear of never being good enough was prominent in my life.

With the expectations of my parents and the only daughter of the Doukas' family, it was probably my biggest fear.

Though to be truthful and honest with myself, I knew that things couldn't have worked out even if I had accepted Mikael's invitation anyway.

I wasn't exceptionally pretty or interesting and I was rather quiet at times. Cynically, I felt that the only interesting thing about me was my bank account and the inheritance I would receive.

In short, girls like me didn't date guys like Mikael.

Resolved from this, I tightened my grip on my purse and trudged along the sidewalk. However, I couldn't dismiss the sinking feeling in my gut.

I was already twenty-four and to me, it felt like I was still stuck in the past. Everyone was moving on with their lives. Both my elder brothers were engaged, my best friend was getting married and even my youngest brother was doing well in his studies. Whereas I, was still attempting to get over Trevor Henderson.

How could I even explain Trevor?

He was my first love and would always be.

He was three years older than me and had the typical blue eyes and blonde hair. He was carefree and lived life to the fullest. Perhaps that was what attracted me to him. He was the very opposite of me.

I knew that I was in love with him since I was a child. Our families were close friends growing up and no one knew of my feelings for him except for Kat.