Chapter 19 - The betrayal

"Vikram I am afraid I have a sad news" Rahul's face was forlorn

As Vikram continued to look upon, he broke open the news himself.

"Looks like the deal with General motors has been awarded to our competitors, "T&M" before even our submission could get through the evaluation phase"

"Oh. How can that happen?" Vikram sounded surprised much

"Don't know, insider information I have is that, they were pretty much impressed by their phased automation manufacturing"

"But isn't that our.."

"Yeah.." he interrupted "Seems to be a glaring coincidence since that was pretty much our USP of the deal"

After a moment of silence, Vikram spoke in a stern voice

"Rahul, I want you to invoke security screening. I want every information that affirms that information has not been leaked or anything. This isn't simple. I somehow sense a foul play here.. I want it in 3 hours"

***

The chief of Information & Data security spoke in a careful calculated voice while all the business heads, Rahul and Vikram listened on.

"I am afraid there was a transfer of sensitive information over the messenger tool. We couldn't recover any suspicious items in the active mails or data, but there was a deleted draft of a person called "Francis De souza" from a admin team which has the sensitive automation metadata and parts code"

"Francis de souza...." Vikram's face flashed with realization and anger, all at once.

"But that wasn't the end of it, the information has been passed on from a member of CEO's office marketing team. We verified the identity and confirmed everyone has signed the confidentiality agreement. There has been a breach of code here. Identity of the person who has passed on this sensitive information is Joshna Amelie Williamson"

Vikram froze in horror while Rahul instinctively stared at him, with dismay and disbelief.

"There has been no evidence so far for transfer of this content outside this company. Even this was incredibly tough to retrieve as there were suspicious or malicious activities from both the accounts before or after. But somehow this information could have been passed on" the officer continued "Here are the CCTV footages of the identified people at the time draft has been recovered. While his screen wasn't visible from the CCTV angle, but her screen is particularly visible and she indeed had sent it"

Disappointment, disbelief or betrayal Vikram wasn't sure what numbed him down.

"This certainly can't be happening to him, that too on the same day which started with jubilance and elation of profound realization of his love for her!!" Vikram stood still unable to contemplate the recovery of his shattered piece of heart

***

13 hours earlier...

"What am I even thinking before asking such a question to her? I mean how can I randomly ask a friend, that she be my girlfriend even if it was to gather her perspective. Why am I doing things out of impulse? What's with the constant nudging thoughts of her all through the day at the back of mind? Is he interested in her after all?

Does he believe in what he used to believe, anymore?" Vikram lay staring at the beautiful chandeliers at the top of his bed.

"Why does something beautiful remind me of her? Is he losing himself to her? It's evident her touch is magical and her presence is healing, what would it be like to have it forever? Is he ready for the commitment that she has been hinting all along? Why does it have to hurt when she pays attention to someone else other than him? Sweet Lord! IS he in love with her!!!?"