× the choosing ×

[Narrator's P.O.V]

It had been exactly 100 years since South Korea had given up and submitted to North Korea.

It all started with Kim Jong Un. He had wanted control over the South for a while, but wasn't quite sure how to get it. Now, it had been no secret that North Korea was working on new nuclear bombs that nobody had seen or heard of before. But nobody knew the true extent of their power.

It didn't even take an attack. All it took was the testing of the nuclear bombs off the South Korean shore as a threat. The South Korean government had been worrying about Kim Jong Un's planned attacks on their country for quite a while by that point, and seeing the power of the bombs, the waves they caused that wiped out miles and miles of buildings and development, the radiation they let off, etc. the government decided it best not to take any risks. That was when South Korea and North Korea officially became one united country.

But just because Korea became one country did not mean people were treated equally in every part. The North was obviously the powerhouse of Korea. They bent the Southern citizens to their every will. And, as a show of power, they began the annual Hunger Games. And, of course, only South Koreans qualified for the games.

That was exactly 100 years ago from this very day. January 1, 2118. The dreaded day of The Choosing. But today isn't just any choosing. It is the 100th choosing. Every 25 years, a special twist is added to the games. Just to 'spice things up' for the entertainment of the North. On this particular choosing, for the 100th year of the games, only South Korean idols would be chosen as tributes for the games. How entertaining, isn't it? Watching the people who work their asses off training and performing to please others, fighting to the death in an arena? As sick and twisted as that is, apparently it's entertaining for the North.

[Minji's P.O.V]

Beep. Beep. Beep. I blindly move my hand around the surface of my cluttered nightstand until it hits my alarm clock. I glide my fingers over the top, quickly finding the snooze button and pressing it. Not five seconds later I shoot upright in my bed, realizing that I can't sleep late today. Any other day I can be late, but not today. Not the day of the Choosing.

I stretch out my arms and yawn before pulling myself out of bed. I see that my mom has laid out a white dress for me. It's simple, but it's beautiful. Having showered last night, I put on the dress and brush out my long, black hair. I reach behind the dress to tie the lace but I can't quite reach.

"Want me to tie it for you?" a sweet voice calls. I glance over to see Soojung standing in the doorway. I nod and she enters my room and ties a bow on the back of my dress, making sure it isn't too tight or too loose. She turns me around and kisses the top of my head. "You look beautiful, Minji." She smiles softly.

"You do, too," I smile back as I admire her pale yellow dress and the matching bow at the bottom of the long braid hanging over the front of her shoulder.

"Thank you," She runs her fingers over her braid nervously. "You know, it's so unlikely you'll get picked," She says quickly, sounding more like she's trying to convince herself than me.

"I know."

"And you know, if you did get picked, I would volunteer for you if I could. I shouldn't have quit being a trainee, then I would be able to volunteer for you-"

"Soojung. It's okay." I cut my worried sister off, taking her hand in mine. "I know you would volunteer for me if you could. Let's not stress about that now. We don't even know if I'm going to be picked or not."

She nods, closing her eyes. "You're right. I shouldn't be so worried. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize," I smile at her.