Prologue

Connor Coffee. That's my name. And right now I wish it wasn't.

I guess I should start from the beginning. It was a cold day. December 21st. The day I died.

"Hey Connor, you walkin home alone today?" I jumped, a bit startled then turned to see Trent. He had been my best friend ever since 1st grade. He was being bullied and picked on, I had stuck up for him. A complete stranger, but I wasn't the type to stand back and just watch. So instead I stepped in, the people that had bullied him were 3rd graders. There wasn't much I could do, but I tried anyways. Granted that on that day I went home with a few bruises. Ever since that day Trent has been glued to my ass, and we didn't spend much time apart.

"Well I was going to. But I guess you could come if you'd like." I muttered as I watched him hop down to me from the steps. He was at least a foot smaller than me, and everytime I looked at him all I saw was his shaggy brown hair. Though I can't brag much about my own hair. I stand at 6 ft tall with dark green eyes and long black hair that will usually be found flung to the right side. I wouldn't say I'm skinny, but I wouldn't say I'm fat either. I'm average. At most.

We were walking down the sidewalk in silence until Trent had to open his mouth. "Hey Connor, do you ever stop to think about what happens after we die?" I gave a him a look of pure disgust.

"Don't you start that heaven and hell shit with me Trent." I snapped. I was never one for religion, though my parents were. "I know enough about life to know that nothing comes after," He looked at me, though I wasn't quite sure why, "And you should too." I told him.

We had reached a stop sign and we paused, looking both ways. Then we stepped onto the asphalt, and I wish we hadn't.

As soon as we reached the middle of the road we heard blaring sirens. I turned, and the thing I saw before me was death, cloaked in steel and painted yellow. Not much happened after that, although I did get occational flashes of a hospital room. It disgusted me. But worried me.

What had happened to Trent?

I got my answer as a flash imagery. And raw pain. My heart was failing, though I saw Trent sitting beside my bed. Unscathed. He's safe.

And then all I heard was a recurring tone. High pitched. I had flat-lined.

No images of my past flashing through my mind. Just burning pain, and then. Nothing.