The Accident

"Happy 14th birthday, Google Home!" your mom cried in happiness, a smile slowly spreading across her face. She slowly walked in carrying a cake which was adorned with 14 candles. You couldn't help but smile too, as you heart was filled with love and content.

Your mother neared you with the cake, but something happened that you would never forget. She lost her balance and fell into the nearby curtains, cake and all, igniting them on fire. You watched in horror as she and the surrounding were quickly engulfed in flames. You could feel the heat lapping at you face as you panicked about what to do.

Your mother, still covered in the wretched fire screamed at you, "Get outside, Google Home!"  You quickly dashed for the door and ran outside onto the front lawn. It wasn't till you got outside that you realized that you mother wasn't following you. You slowly turned back around to face the house and let out a silent scream to see the whole thing engulfed by the flames. You dropped to you knees as you heard your mother screeching from inside. You could hear the insurmountable amounts of pain in her voice. You pulled out your Motorola Razr™️ flip phone and called 9-1-1.

"HELP!" you cried to the operator. "My house is on fire and my mother is inside!"

"Help is on the way, sir." said the operator. You didn't even have time to correct them before the whole house caved in and crumpled into a large pile on the ground.

A strangled sob left your throat and you collapsed and plead you knees up into the fetal position, muffling you cries and drying your tears with your knees. This was where the first responders found you when they finally arrived to the scene. While most of them went to deal with the house situation, one police officer stayed behind with you. He picked you up in his muscular arms and carried you to his police cruiser. Laying you inside along the back seat, he climbed in the front and drove you in town towards the police station, tears streaming down your face the whole time.

He carried you into the station and set you down in a chair in the lobby. You sat in silence until the offices phone rang. He picked up before the first ring was over, and mumbled some unintelligible words into it. After nodding and grunting a few times, he put the phone back on the receiver. He walked over to you, really taking his time, and did a football player squat right in front of you. You turned your red, puffy, tear-stained eyes up towards his, meeting them. That's when he said the words that you would never forget.

"Your mother is gone."