Chapter 2: Oh I want to talk to you

It was late evening, people came into the stage trying to impress all of the judges behind the panel but just some of them got the four yeses. It was the ninth season of Britain's got talent and the four judges were glad of being there...well, most of them.
One of them was there just because it was his job, deep down he was absently doing his work. Two weeks after his mother death he wasn't anything close to feeling good, Simon Cowell was depressed having plenty reasons to be.

He sat on his place the entire afternoon doodling circles on the list of contestant names and paying the needed amount of attention to the acts on stage, then proceeding to give the verdict if they should get into the next round or not.
Partially he said no to most of them, not because of his current mood, but because he didn't found anything enjoyable, although there were some he just couldn't deny the talent behind the ones who performed.

He wasn't alright and he knew the other ones sensed it, still he didn't care about the others noticing his emotional state, he was doing his job and nothing else mattered.

But that wasn't what the others thought; Amanda knew what was going on because two weeks ago when Simon postponed the show for a week and told everyone to take a break on the recording of the series she felt something wasn't right at all. So she tried to ask to some of the managers what was happening with the man, then she got the news of the death of Simon's mother.

Knowing Simon talking about his feelings wasn't a good idea totally, he would just brush it off so she jumped to the conclusion to let some time go on and then he would find a way to get through.
After all, he was just her boss and his feelings were none of her business.

On the other hand when Amanda discreetly communicated to her co-workers what was the matter with Simon and what they 'should' do about it, but the children books author, David Walliams, didn't agree with Amanda and Alesha's opinion about letting the older man mourn and grieve by himself such a loss.
He thought it wasn't right at all, but the problem was that they weren't close enough for him to simply approach Cowell and try to comfort the man, who in first place was sensitive on the matter and second; he was nothing more nothing less than his boss.
But after the events of that night he just couldn't stand seeing him in such state any longer and decided to do something, at least in a few days later but promised to.

There were some auditions left until the show was over, everyone was obviously tired. It had been a long day for all of them but specially for Simon.

Then a young man came into stage and the audience behind the four Judges cheered welcoming him. Simon lifted his gaze from his list to examine the contestant attitude towards the crowd, he always thought it was very important. So when the boy showed confidence Simon mentally added some points to his evaluation of the man in front of him.

He had been feeling quite dull today, not totally depressed but a little bit exhausted, so when the man on stage placed in the 'x' he decided to take his turn doing the brief chat with the young contestant.

'hello'

'hi' he replied a bit nervous and exited.

'So, what's your name?' he repeated the same words they always asked as he checked on the paper in front of him whit the names of the acts, if he was correct this was the last act of the day.

'um, my name is Josh Daniels'

'you're the last act of the day then' said Simon acting friendly and pretending everything was alright.

'yes, yes I am' the man chuckled softly and played along.

'quite long day wasn't it?' The elder judge said, partly because for him it had been.