Eight

I looked at the big sister warily, and quite surprised.   That french accent could only come from the one person that I knew, who was also the only other big sister who could speak:  Subject Zayin.

We had been set on a mission in around 1972 to go the surface, and kidnap a child, which would be made into a little sister.  Decisions where quite low at the time, and since all the children where already little sisters, or where killed by splicers.  So, Sofia sent us to the surface to kidnap the children, and you know how the rest of the story goes from there.  We didn't spend much time together, but I did learn a few things about her.  She had gone through these things called tears, to a floating city in the sky, which amazed me.   She told me a bit about the world there, and I really wanted to go.  

Last time I saw her, we had just dropped the child that we had stolen from the surface, and Sofia had said that she needed her and another big sister to kill a few Alpha Series big daddies that had gotten loose.  Sofia had told her, "I would like you to eliminate the threats, of which some of the family cannot handle."  Her words still echoed through my ears, and that very moment after Zayin had not returned, I had hated her more for taking one of my few friends away from me.  

I thought that she wanted to get rid of Zayin, and I considered murdering Sofia a few times.  But, instead I only vented out my anger, because I knew that even if I did kill her, 38 big sisters and god knows how many splicers would be after me.  And I would die.  

And now, here stood my old friend who I thought was dead, that I had only known for one day, yet hadn't seen for three years, pointing a rigged harpoon at me, standing in a threatening stance. 

"Zayin..."  I muttered warily, stepping back.  She lowered her weapon slightly, dropping her stance, before quickly picking it up again.  "How do you know me?  My name?"  She hissed.  She seriously didn't remember?  "I'm subject Zeta.  We knew each other, a few years ago."  I said, praying that she would remember.  "I do not know any Zeta.   You must be thinking of someone else."  She shook her head slightly.  

Oh, she was going to be this way, now, was she?  "You are Subject Zayin, and you where born here in Rapture.  You are about sixteen years old, and when you where about thirteen, you entered a tear, which is a rip in the fabric of time, which leads to another universe.  There, you took a few bottles of things called, 'vigors' and from what I know, one of them was called, 'Murder of crows'.  In 1967 we where put together by Lamb to take a child from the surface.  You chose France, so there we went.  Later, when we dropped the girl off at the Education Facility, Sofia had told you to go on a mission to eliminate a few rouge Alpha Series big daddies, along with subject Chi.  That was the last time I saw you."

Zayin looked a bit shocked, and I continued.  "Under your helmet, you have white eyes, and bleach blonde hair.  You where not like other little sisters when you where younger, and you have French origin although I am sure that you got it from your parents, and I am also sure that you were born in Rapture, rather than France."  

I took a few deep breaths after saying that, because, let me tell you, it isn't that easy to speak two long sentences in one whole breath.  Zayin took off her helmet, and I did the same, just to see if she would recognize me.  "What the hell are you doing now?"  Eta asked me under her breath.  "Just trust me."  I muttered back.  

"Zeta?  What the hell, I thought you died!"  Zayin exclaimed.  I looked at her, a bit shocked.  "I thought that YOU died!  where the hell where you those three years?  On New Years of 1958 I considered you dead!"  Zayin shrugged.  "The Alpha Series took a number on us.  And then, the dumbest thing happened!  Sofia's splicers attacked us!   The bastard sent them after us.  Chi died.  I escaped, and a few big sisters kept running after me.  I was trying to figure out how to get them off of my tail and I- I had no choice but here.  I've been here the entire time, hiding.  Is Sofia still running this place?  Did she send you two after me?"  

I was shocked.  She really didn't know what had happened over the past three years?  God.  "Sofia is... well, she's gone.  Subject Delta was brought back from death by Eleanor, and eventually Delta got to Eleanor and they went to the surface together.  Sofia's either dead or up on the surface with Eleanor and, perhaps, even Delta."

Zayin nodded slightly, before putting her helmet into the crook of her arm, and walking closer to me and Eta.  "So, what brings you guys here?"  She asked.  "A dream about a woman, who just happened to look exactly like her,"  I said, nodding down to the woman who sat up against the glass.  "A voice... one in my dream told me to go to a tear down in the Silver Fin.  Told me i'd find them there..."

It really didn't make much sense to me.  But, on the other hand, what really did anymore?  As where Eta and even I myself looked confused, Zayin's head popped up in surprise, and I could only guess that she knew the place.  "The tear in Silver Fin?  Like, the first ever tear discovered in Rapture?"  She asked.

Well, I didn't know the answer to that, but Zayin knew a lot, so I just nodded.  "I went there to get to that city in the sky.  You want me to take you guys there?"  I looked beside me at Eta, who just shrugged but nodded.   "I guess we should get going, then...?"  Eta said, but it sounded more like a question.  

"You think you're gonna go to a city in the sky, with people who are sane, like that?  They'll kill you.  Think you where sent by Lucifer.  It's honestly sad to see how paranoid they get.  But, I think we'll go to another area here in the hardware store. It's where I stole some clothes to go to Rapture.  Lucky for you, that door has been locked for years.  Nothing went in.  Nothing went out..."  She paused for a second, and then continued.

"Besides me.  So, you guys ready to go there?"  She asked.  I looked to Eta, who against shrugged.  "Will you remind me why we're here again?"  She asked.  I looked over to Zayin, who closed her eyes and just barely shook her head.   

"She wants to be back here."  Zayin mumbled, nodding to the woman.  "She wasn't supposed to exist in any tears anymore.  Tears aren't even supposed to be here at the moment.  Something...  or someone turned on the device that originally made the tears.   Now, we need to find her.   I'll go over the thing just before we get to Columbia, the floating city.  We can't really plan anything from anywhere.   Everything is just too unexpecting."

Eta sighed.  "So, we're basically just changing the entire past?"  Zayin shrugged.  "Elizabeth wants to be back.  Simple as that.  We could die, or we could live.  Who the hell knows what Rapture will be like when we DO get back.   Now, I think I'm going to clear a few splicers out of here, just as a precaution.   You guys can come back here in two days, same place.  Got it?"  

Me and Eta both looked at eachother, then back at Zayin, before Eta nodded.  Zayin smiled.   "So long, then."  Before teleporting away.   I watched the dark ashes and the purple dust fall, sighing quietly.

"What the hell have we gotten ourselves into?"  Eta asked after a few moments of silence

"I don't know,  Leta.   I don't know."

A/N: WHAT THE HELL IS  THIS?  ANOTHER UPDATE?  Holy shit.   Ummm... yeah, sorry for not updating in these past two months.   I haven't been too busy, I just had a lot of ideas for this story, so while I was brainstorming this shit, I decided to make a book of bioshock one-shots on my collab account  (it should be right down there)

MURF_AND_TOP_LOVER

And ultimately sorta made a backstory to Zeta and Zayin's short history as friends.  (Link to story is https://www.wattpad.com/569552439-bioshock-one-shots-subject-zeta-the-lamb-cult )  

But... yeah.  I'm a terrible writer, so it's probably not written the best, but ay, I'm trying here.  Ummmmmm... Well, I think that's all!  Have a nice life, day/night, and I'll see ya people later.