Eternity's Agony (short story)

Reminiscing the good old days when my wife and I had the most beautiful eternity, just like walking hand-in-hand with the aroma of good-scented white flowers and at the other side the clear gaze of water flowing freely where the sky reflects beautifully showing its light-blue shade like a glitter shimmering. Those times, and those dreams aren't going to happen anymore, because I had lost her and she had lost me, three months ago that seems like it happened centuries before but hurts like it happened just yesterday.

My mind has turned back to reality when I heard a creaking sound of the door. There stepped on a lady wearing a formal dress with papers on her right hand and a pen on the left. She smiled and bowed to me a bit which means she pays respect to her boss, the detective.

"What's the matter, Wilmina?" I asked her glancing at the papers she is holding.

"T-the investigation papers of Dr. C-Claudia, sir." She said stuttering.

"Just leave it there, on the couch. And may you please step out of the office after that?"

"Y-yes sir." She nodded and turned back to open the door.

"Wait."

"H-huh?"

"Did you read the datas written on those papers?"

"N-no sir. I didn't."

"Ensure it, if you do so I'll not fire you." she smiled upon hearing my statement.

"I repeat, I will not fire you but I'll set you to fire until you're burnt out." Her smile faded and became a straight face. I can see fear within her eyes and she swallowed a lump.

"Ah—"

"Just kidding." I said and she walked out the office.

***

"Chief Inspector Del Carpio, do you have already the culprit upon the death of your wife?" said General Mariano.

"I do not have the culprit yet, but I have the suspected culprits. If you want to know who they are you can accompany me to invite them here."

"Are you sure you still want to solve this case? I mean—I am not trifling the truth behind your wife's case but three months had passed already, it seems that the culprit had moved from this place to another or the culprit had hidden himself already." General Mariano said.

"There's no perfect crime, remember?" I asked him.

"Okay, fine. I'll go with you. I got your point."

***

"Three suspected culprits will arrive, eh?" Gen. Mariano asked.

"Yeah, there are three suspected culprits. I have remembered my wife before she was killed. We parted our ways when I drove her to the hospital she's working at and left her already to go back home because I'll be watching my favorite tv series that time. When suddenly, by 1:29 pm I received a message from someone else saying that my wife was already dead. That time I wasn't able to say anything nor to move or to cry or whatever. I was just sitting and it's like my world and my surroundings has stopped. Three suspected culprits are there because when the time she dies, she's at the wash room of the hospital. The janitress of the building had seen her corpse there so the janitress might be the culprit because she's the last person whom had been with the victim. Second, my wife has her assistant nurse with her almost all of the time. I had observed that when I visited her several months ago, and also her nurse is a lady so since the setting of the crime is in the ladies' wash room, she could be. The last one, the sister of my wife's patient who died after an operation. Four months ago, my wife had told me about that thing. Her kid patient has died from an operation by which the sister of the patient got mad at her. Maybe she's having her bloody revenge, right?" I explained.