Chapter 2: Surprise Surprise?

“Hey!!” I looked at her with a goofy smile. “Ikaw ha, pumuputi ata tayo lalo.” She blushed.

          “Sus, ikaw nga dyan eh. Gumanda ka simula ng college. Pero di naman sa di kita nakakaskype pero grabe… mas maganda ka talaga sa personal. Yan ba dulot ng London sayo? Grabe… Grabe talaga…” dire-diretso nyang sabi.

          “Grabe ka, Arra! Ikaw nga tong mukhang Anghel tapos ako sasabihan mo ng maganda?! By the way, saang bansa ka nanaman galing at ang laki yata ng maleta mo?” Dire-diretso ko ding daldal nakakaexcite naman kasi may nakita na ‘kong kakilala ko dito.

          “Ah. Sa Hong Kong. Business trip lang. Ikaw? Bat di mo sinabing ngayon pala uwi mo? Alam na ba nila Mika ‘to? Wait, tatawagan ko sila.” She was about to fish her phone out of her pocket but I stopped her.

          “Ay, Arra wag na. Plano ko sanang isurprise sila—I mean kayo kaso nakita mo na ko dito—nasa The Fort sila ngayon eh. Dun din ba punta mo?”

          “Ah oo, pinapapunta nila ko dun. May dinner, celebration yata sa pagkapanalo ng team nila Jeron sa PBA. Sigurado ako masusurprise sila pag nakita ka nila.”

          I smiled, this girl is really kind despite the fact na mukha syang anghel na bumaba sa lupa. Don’t get me wrong ha, hindi ako tibo, shibbs, tibursya o kung ano pa man. I just know how to appreciate beauty.

          “Ah, ganon ba? Sabay ka nalang sakin.” I offered.

          “O sige sige.”

          We climbed our way to my car’s seats when her phone rang.

          “Hello, babe?... Yes, I’m on my way na… I’ll be there in 40? Yes, bye.”

          I turned the radio on and focused on the road. ‘cause I wanna see my friends as soon as possible. When we got there I immediately parked my car and made my way out.

          “Maya mo nalang kunin gamit mo, Arra. So… asan daw sila?” I asked her.

          “Wait. I’ll call Thom.” She said.

          “Oh, okay.” she distanced herself a bit to have a privacy. And I just roamed my eyes around the vicinity. Oh, how I miss the Philippines. I haven’t finished staring at the place when Arra poked me and said, “Nasa Burger Avenue daw sila.”

          “Osige, lead the way, Ma’am.” I joked, and we walked to get there. It wasn’t that far from where I parked because it just took us 2 minutes.

          When we get there the place was closed, lights we’re out and no one can be seen inside. “Um, Arra. Tama ba ‘tong pinuntahan natin?” I asked her. Baka kasi burger king pala, hindi burger avenue.

          “Oo, pasok nalang tayo. Sa friend naman nila Jeron yung resto eh.” I just shrugged.

She pushed the door open and called some of our friends’ name before she turned the lights on. When she pushed the switch, there was a spotlight in the middle and a voice suddenly spoke through the speakers “Ms. Arra San Agustin. Please make your way to the center of the venue.” She obeyed while I just stood in the doorway watching her, and looking out for what will happen. I’m thinking maybe they’ve planned a surprise for her. Suddenly the song “Out of my league” played and a somebody appeared but i can't figure out who he is, he was singing along with the music and was so focused on her and when the song stopped the light flicked open, revealing a table for two with a wine on a cart beside, with Christmas lights hanging around the walls of the place and there was a banner behind the figure saying “Will you marry me?” and rose petals scattered on the floor. So… this was the surprise. He’s asking her to marry him. Our friends were at the side of the banner looking haggard and happy at what was happening.

Nobody noticed me because I’m still hiding in the dark. Then suddenly the figure spoke: “Arra, you’ve been with me through ups and downs. We’ve been together for almost five years, and I cannot explain how much I am grateful for you keeping up with me. I want to take this relationship to the next level.” He kneeled “So, Arra. Will you marry me?”

Time was slowing down.

She looked at his face and I can see how she loves him, then she looked at our friends who gave her the most encouraging smiles they could give. And at last, she glance at me—hiding in the dark, still invisible to the people around me.

And she looked at him and I prepared myself to the pain that I will feel later on. But her answer shocked me—all of us, in fact: “No, Thomas. I won’t marry you.”

And she ran away crying, accidentally hitting me on her way out. “Aw.” I said silently while holding my shoulder. They at last, saw me.

“Ara?!”

“What are you doing here?”

“Nakita mo lahat yon?!”

“He-he, surprise?” I said nervously.