Chapter 3: Surprise Surprise? (part 2)

“he-he. Surprise?” I said nervously. They all looked shocked. Nobody uttered a word. They just all stared at me like I’m just a figment of their imagination. Until Camille walked towards me and hugged me tightly.

“I missed you. I know masakit.” She whispered to my ear. And when she pulled away I just smiled faintly at her, and eventually looked at my friends.

“Uh, guys. Mamaya nalang tayo mashock ha? Sundan nalang muna kaya natin si Arra?” I asked them, and I think that woke them up from their revere. They just nodded and we all ran outside to look for Arra.

We all split up to look for her. We’ve been looking and calling her name for 10 minutes. Until Gabby told us that somebody saw her took a cab and left. That’s why we all decided to go back to the restaurant to clean the things they have prepared.

As soon as we arrived at the place Mika hugged me tightly—so tight to the point that I can’t breathe—and they all did the same (hugged me and said that they missed me) except for him. Of course I understand naman na that would be awkward if we hugged so I just smiled at him.

While we were cleaning, I decided to talk to ease the uncomfortable atmosphere because of what happened to Thomas’ proposal. “So, guys. Bat di nyo man lang sinabi na ito pala pinagkakaabalahan nyo ngayon? Edi sana nakasabwat nyo din ako?” I said jokingly to the bullies.

They looked at me and Cienne whispered: “Alam naman namin na masasaktan ka eh.” She whispered, but we’re (the bullies) so close to each other that’s why we still heard it. There was a moment of silence and maybe Cienne realized that it was the wrong thing to say that’s why she just bit her lips.

“Sus, guys. Past is past, ano ba. Wag na natin balikan. So, ano nyan balak natin?”

“Anong balak?” Mika asked.

“Di man lang ba natin susundan si Arra? Kasi umiiyak sya kanina so maybe may reason sya kung bakit nya dinecline yung proposal ni Thomas.” I said, kasi sabi nga nila There’s always a reason behind every decision.

“Okay lang ba talaga sa’yo yon, wafs?” Kim asked me, sounding unsure.

“Of course, ayos lang sakin. Friend natin si Arra… and Thom… sort of. Teka nga, why is it about me? Dapat sila muna iniisip natin ngayon no.” I smiled. Pero deep inside, I wanna curl on a corner and cry my heart out. ‘Cause, how will you look at the man you love declare his love to another woman and to make things worse… ask her to marry him.

“Oo nga, baks. Puntahan natin sa flat nya mamaya.” Carol said with finality.

When we finished cleaning the restaurant we immediately left the place cause as Jeron said “Kelangan na nating magpahinga lalo na si Thom, tignan nyo naman mukhang lantang gulay na.” but we (Mika, Kim, Cienne, Camille, Carol, Me) planned on visiting Arra on her condo unit. We’ve decided that we’ll go on convoy cause we all arrived here at the fort with our own cars.

Nagpark silang magkakasama, samantalang yung akin ay medyo nalayo kasi punuan yung parking kanina. Kaya I just asked them to wait for me sa may entrance. When I saw 5 cars na nagkukumpulan I immediately knew na sila yon so I beeped them and rolled my car window down.

They all rolled their windows down too and eyed my car suspiciously. “Witwiw. Bigtime ka na talaga, Ars.” Sabi ni Kim.

“Dream car, ‘no?” tanong ni Carol.

“uh-huh”

“So, ganto guys. Ako nalang sa unahan tas igitna natin si Ara kasi baka mawala, alam nyo naman yan shunga.” Suggestion ni Mika at napatango naman sila.

“Hoy, I’ve changed na no! Minsan nalang ako maging shunga.” I winked which earned me a couple of chuckles.

The building where Arra’s condo unit is located at Pasay City. It is a 57-storey establishment. It’s obvious na exclusive sya kasi its surrounded with guards roaming around and there are many CCTV cameras all over the place.

          We immediately made our way to Arra’s condo unit which is at the 30th floor. We knocked and after a couple of seconds the door opened revealing Arra behind it. It was so obvious that she has been crying because of the redness of her eyes and the puffiness of her cheeks and nose.

          “Oh guys, kayo pala.” She smiled trying to wipe the tears away.

          “Can we come in? Kung hindi, okay lang. Balik nalang kami, we just want to check on you.” I said.

          “Oh… Sige guys. You can come in.” she went in leaving the door open for us to come in. We followed her inside her flat. It’s just simple but it’s clean.

          We sat down on her sofas. “Sorry guys ha. ‘Di ko kayo maaasikaso ngayon.” She joked while crying. Carol, who was the closest to her, tried to comfort her by soothing her back. Okay, somebody should ask the question why. ‘cause yun naman talaga pinunta namin dito. So, ako na ang naglakas ng loob.

          “Arra, mahal mo ba si Thom?” I asked, they all looked at me shocked because of the question.

          “Of course. Mahal na mahal.” She said in between sobs.

          “Eh, yun naman pala eh! Ba’t ka nag-no kanina?” I gently asked her.

          “It’s not that easy Ara.”

          “It is! Mahal mo sya, mahal ka nya. It’s that simple.” I said with a soothing voice.

          “It’s complicated! Hindi ganun kadali ‘yon!” she shouted. I was taken-aback, and I think sya din cause, “Oh my god. Ara, I’m so sorry for shouting at you. Oh my god.” She said, still crying.

          “Okay, sorry din. But why? Bakit complicated? What’s holding you back?”

          “You, Ara. You’re the one holding me back.” And she cried harder.