Chapter 13

"Shane! Put that back!" I scold my son after searching for him in three isles only to find him in the toy isle holding a neon plastic gun. God, what is Shank teaching him?

Shane places the toy back where he found it and shuffles his feet back to me. I place his small hand on the side of the worn out cart with a spinning wheel. A silent warning if what will happen if he lets go.

He carries the bag with the eggs as I balance the others in one arm to dig out my keys with my free hand from my bottomless purse.

I hear a thump and see shane has dropped the carton of eggs in the ground. 

"Dammit, Shane!" I yell.

He immediately starts crying but before I can apologize for snapping at him, my phone rings.

"Hello?" I exhale in to the phone.

"Everything good, babe?" Schiz asks, his voice almost serious.

"Yeah- just Shane dropped all the eggs and now he's crying. Shane, its fine. Open up the carton and see how many are broken." I hold the phone between my shoulder and ear and run my hand over his brown hair.

Still crying, he does what he's told. All but 4 are broken. Great.

"See? Still enough to make a cake. And for you to have breakfast, okay?" I try cheering him up. He nods, still crying.

"Calm down, Annie." Schiz's calm voice soothes on the other end of the phone.

I take a deep breath but don't have a chance to reply as I notice as group of Latino men step out of a car and start for me and Shane. 

"Shane! Give me your hand!" I tell him. He hurriedly starts to pick up the eggs. "Screw the eggs, Shane! Give. Me. Your. Hand!" I order him again. He drops the bag once again and grabs ahold of my hand in his yolk covered one. He uses his other hand to wipe at his wet, red face.

"Missy?" Schiz asks worriedly. I don't say anything.

"Cute boy you have there. What's your name, boy?" One of them with a cliche mustache steps in front of the others asks. The others start to circle us and shane latches in my my leg.

"He asked you a question, kid." One of the men snap behind us. The leader waves him off and just smiles down at Shane. His yellow teeth catching the sunlight.

"Leave him alone!" I jerk Shane from the man as he reaches out for him.

He stands up from his crouched position and glares at me. My phone falls from my ear and shoulder and to the ground with a cracking noise. The man scoops it up.

Then one of them makes a comment from behind me in Spanish.

She's cute. Now I see why two of them are after her.

I'd let her play with my little chicken.

They all start laughing. The leader glares at them and they stop instantly.

"Tell your boyfriends hello for me. See you later, doc." He smiles once again before nodding behind me at the other men for them to disperse into the store and let us continue to my car.

I hustle to my car, yanking poor Shane's arm out the socket in the process. Throwing the groceries in the back, I let Shane ride up front and racing to the club house.

On the way there, I pass a few of the guys speeding their way to where I just came from.  I honk my horn once and watch in the rearview mirrors as half turn and start to follow me back.

Shane, recovering from his fear so quickly, races out to play with Mikey and Sydney on the playground with Margo. She notices my arrival and starts her way over here.