Father's Day- Can't Even Think Straight

Jared Sudlow put his feet up on the coffee table and leaned back against the couch. Evan was probably still asleep. He’d had a nightmare last night, and Jared had stayed up for two hours just comforting the little boy until he’d fallen back to sleep.

                “He’s still not up?” his wife, Abby, said as she came out.

                Jared shook his head. “Nope. I figured he wouldn’t be.”

                But then he heard the sound of a door creaking open. His sleepy 6 year old son padded out into the living room, rubbing his tired eyes.

                “Hey buddy,” Jared said, gesturing him over.

                Evan wandered over and Jared lifted him into his lap and kissed him. Evan leaned back against his dad.

                “Happy father’s day,” he mumbled, his voice thick with sleep.

                “Thank you,” Jared said, surprised Evan even remembered. Evan wasn’t exactly the brightest child.

                “Can I make you breakfast?” Evan asked, looking up at his dad, seeming to wake up more and more with each second.

                “Sure. I would like that,” Jared said, standing up with Evan in his arms.

                “Yay! I can make you toast,” Evan said, squirming to get out of his father’s arms and get to the kitchen.

                Jared yelped as he nearly dropped Evan, and Abby groaned in horror. Jared wrapped his arms around Evan securely, guilt slamming into him. He would not drop Evan again.

                “Evan, don’t squirm like that!” he said sternly.

                “But I wanna get to the kitchen now!” Evan whined.

                “Evander, I’ll bring you there. But don’t squirm,” Jared said.

                “Jared, please don’t drop him again,” Abby begged.

                “I’m trying not to. He’s hard to hold onto,” Jared said with a blush, carrying Evan into the kitchen and setting him down.

                Evan hurried over to a drawer and pulled out bread. He grabbed a chair and dragged it over, climbing onto it. He put the bread down in the toaster and Abby groaned again.

                “Make sure he doesn’t stick his fingers in there,” she said.

                “I’m watching him,” Jared assured.

                “I’m not stupid,” Evan said with a pout, trying to put the bread down. “Daddy, the dumb toaster is broken!”

                “You have to plug it in Evander,” Jared said.

                “I knew that. I was just testing you,” Evan said, plugging the toaster in. “I swear I knew that.”

                “I believe you,” Jared said, wondering if there was a way to go back in time and stop himself from probably giving his son brain damage.

                Evan waited impatiently once he had put the toast down. It popped up a minute later and Evan let out a strangled yell, jumping away and nearly falling off of the chair.