Empty Room

This is a work of fiction. But kind of inspired by a significantly less dramatic experience I had when trying to form an afterschool group. No one showed up. Not even the teacher! But enough of the true stuff. Here's my first, fiction, not showing up story:

I was late. Of course I was.

I had been waiting for this moment. I had been yearning for it, but dreading it. I just wanted to get it over with, so I could live my life peacefully, with him or without him.

And I was late.

I stood outside the room for a second, cursing the teacher who had covered the door’s window with paper. Maybe Greg was late too. He had been up to five minutes late in the past. And I was only three minutes late. How could I know if he was in their or not? 

A strange thought flashed through my mind. I thought of Schrödinger's cat, this weird thing we learned about in science class. It’s something like this: you have a box, with a cat and a particle in it, and if that particle decays, the cat gets poisoned. But according to quantum theory, the particle is decayed and not decayed at the same time. So the cat is dead and not dead at the same time, that is, until you open the box and find out which it is.

I wondered if quantum theory would tell me that Greg was both in the room and not at the same time. Until I opened the door. So I took a deep breath, and did just that.

The room was empty.

For a second I was relieved. I could gather my thoughts. Mentally prepare myself for this huge moment. But then I began to wonder: What if Greg doesn’t come at all? 

I tried pushing the thought away, telling myself that since I was late, I shouldn’t too hard on him. It would be fine. He would come.

So I pulled out a book and started reading. But I couldn’t really get into my book, because every few minutes, I’d look down at my watch. By the time ten minutes had passed I was freaking out inside and I just couldn’t read any more. 

I had been wrong. He wasn’t coming after all. Even after I told him how important this was. Suddenly I felt a burning hatred. How dare he! How dare he play with me like this! Did he think this was some kind of joke?

But then my anger gave way to sadness. It was over. Now I would never be able to tell him. Not if he treated me like this.

I started crying. “Pull yourself together Erica!” a voice in my head said. But the voice was weak. I couldn’t pull myself together when all I could think about was him.

I would never be able to tell Greg I loved him.

Sad, right? This is kind of reminding me of the song "Someone Like You" so it's in the multimedia, And here are some more detailed descriptions of Schrödinger's cat (which is a real thing):

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090423044601AA3WCYK

http://www.mtnmath.com/cat.html