A Big Tree.

Thanks Claarzie for the book cover on the right :) again a great one <3 thanks so much. Keep readin guys, thank you for the support. Comment and vote? :)

            When I sit up, which takes less strength then I imagined it would, I realize I had to sit up because I was no longer resting on Cain. I roll down the window on the driver's side and peak my head out slightly, Cain is tending to a pile of coal with a thoughtful expression on his face.

            The idea that he may be cooking something makes my stomach growl intensely and I shrink at its knowing rumble. After a few seconds the pain is gone and I get out of the truck. Cain jumps up from his squatting position and seems like he is prepared to do whatever might have had to be done. Would Cain really kill to protect the two of us? I'm pretty sure he would.

            Neither of us has a family nor is living alone on well-fare at 16 hard. When Cain and I met it was at school, we were drawn to each other and once we were close friends we shared our secret of living alone. We stayed away from groups and other people, too afraid to get close to others. I guess that was a good thing, it kept us from having wild parties and doing drugs...Cain is a careful, reserved, person, he would never harm anyone unless his or my life counted on it. He has a strong will and I admire him for that and many other things.

            After a few seconds Cain comes to realize it was only me and his expression goes from hard to relieved, his body loosens and he takes long strides to meet me. It's been two days of stress since we left our homes and the only time I was awake was when we walked around and I fell out of my seat.

            I can't imagine what Cain is going through, but I know it must be a heavy weight because he pulls me into a long hug like we haven't seen each other in a long time. His brown hair tickles my cheek and I snuggle my face into his neck. It seems like a long time that sped by quickly before either of us pulls away. Once we separate he proudly shows me the rabbit he caught.

            "Bare handedly caught. Pretty cool, don't you think?" I knew it was a question that was important to him that I answered.

            "Wow, I'm glad you didn't make me stay home, otherwise I would be following your truck hungry." I laugh at the end of my reply and he grins again, just as he had earlier.

            "I'm glad you came." He said blatantly. I didn't need that reassurance but it was good to hear him say it.

            "Me too. I'm not going to let you do this alone and I can't live in solitude... Neither can you." I really can't think of anything else to say besides this and it doesn't seem like enough.

            "I know. How's your leg? Soar?" Concern again, not that I didn't like knowing that someone was concerned about me, that someone cares.

            "No, my leg is fine and it should be the least of your worries...Our worries." There, those were the words I was looking for and that he needed to hear.

            We ate in silence. Warm, tender, rabbit meat filled my stomach and the aroma that filled the air while it was cooking made my mouth water profusely. I don't think I've ever been this hungry before, but I wouldn't go as far as saying starving. Again we stayed close to the truck; at this point it's like our lifeline.

            We got back into the truck. I offered to drive, but Cain refused my offer and told me that he knew the roads we needed to take. The road was bumpy and I was beginning to get motion sick. My head was bobbling around and it was a struggle to hold it up straight.

            "We're being followed." Cain's words were hard to choke down.

            "By who?" I felt stupid after I asked this question because there was no reason he would know the answer.

            "I don't know, but whoever they are they know the roads well and are willing to keep enough distance that I hadn't noticed."

            "What are we going to do if they speed up?" I asked. I could feel my anxiety levels rising.

            "Drive faster than whoever is chasing us." Apparently I'm not being very bright today.

            As soon as Cain formed the last words of our conversation my fear became reality. I heard an engine roar behind us and Cain stomped on the gas pedal. Two vehicles race forward, dirt flying, rocks hitting the windows hard enough the bodies inside flinch at witnessing them do so. The next thing I know Cain is swerving off the road and we're smashing our way through the woods.

            We hit a tree. A big tree. The front windshield falls in on us. Thick glass hits our bodies, I have enough time to turn my head and see Cain lying against the steering wheel, blood running from his nose. His eyes are closed, but I can tell that he is completely aware of what had just happened. Before I could turn my head back into its original position Cain and I are being pulled out of the truck. I scream and I can see how the sharp, piercing, tone affects our abductors. One flinches, face scrunched. The other tightens his grip. We are being dragged to the van that had been following us.

            The back doors are opened and our bodies are being flung in like we won't feel the after effects of hitting the floor. The back of the truck is slammed shut and in a few seconds the truck is moving. I scramble to stand up but slip on the wet floor. Cain is motionless on the floor and his blood coats the tile in a thin, slick layer. My head hits the trucks side and like Cain I am now in too much shock to move. We lay there still in silence. Cain's eyes are open staring blankly at me, at this point I think he has as much as an idea of what’s going on as I do. Which isn't much.