Chapter 19

Abel:
"Pull it together Abel." I mumbled to myself and ran my hand through my hair as I struggled to finish the science project Kenzee and I were working on, "You can do this."

Kenzee had chose to measure the data track spacing on CDs and DVDs using a laser pointer and I was cool with that since she was doing all of the work anyway.

The project was mostly done but I had to finish it since Kenzee was in the hospital and it was due in two days but I had no fucking clue what I was doing.

There were three loud knocks on the door and I got up to answer it.

I swung the door open, clearly irritated and scoffed when I saw two cops on the other side.

"What the fuck do y'all want?"

"Are you Abel Tesfaye?"

"I don't know, am I?"

The female cop rolled her eyes. "Turn around sir, you're under arrest."

"For what?"

My mom came down the stairs. "Abel, what's going on?"

"Your son is under arrest and right now he's currently resisting."

"Resisting, how? I'm just standing here."

"Yes and we've asked you to turn around and you haven't."

"Because you haven't told me what I'm getting arrested for."

"For attempted murder." The male cop spoke up as he grabbed my arm and made me turn around. "You have the right to remain silent, anything you say-"

"Attempted murder?!" My mom yelled. "Abel, what did you do?!"

"Mama I haven't done a damn thing! You know how these cops are, always trying to throw a nigga in jail!"

"Sir, I advise that you be quiet." The male cop said as he escorted me out the house.

"Or what? You're gonna charge me with attempting to hurt your feelings?" I rolled my eyes and mumbled as they put me in the back of the cop car. "Pussy ass nigga."

They took me to the station and when we walked in, I saw Lamar handcuffed to the bench he was sitting on.

He saw me and we both busted out laughing.

"What's so funny?" The cop asked.

"That you got us down here for no reason."

"We'll see about that." He sat me down across the room from Lamar and handcuffed me to my chair. "Detective Smith will be with you shortly."

"Whatever."

He walked away and I sat there staring at the ceiling until I heard my mom.

"Jesus Abel, what did you do?"

"I didn't do anything."

She looked at me and if anyone could tell when I was lying, it was definitely my mom.

She lowered her voice. "Abel, is this about those three boys they found at High Park this morning?"

I shrugged. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Son, I can see right through you. Why did you do it?"

"Kenzee almost died because they drugged and almost raped her, I couldn't let them get away with that."

"You could've just called the cops honey...now you're in trouble."

"It's okay, they're not gonna do anything to me."