Chapter 22

Wessan (Kenzee's dad):
I came home from work and when I walked into the house, all I heard was the clanking of pots and pans coming from my wife in the kitchen. I could tell Kenzee still wasn't home because I didn't hear any of her music that she usually blast through the house.

She was still mad at me and had been staying with her friend Melody all week. Of course I wanted to give her time to cool off but I was also starting to miss her and felt like I needed to talk to her.

"Honey, have you talked to Kenzee today?"

"Yes, she's fine."

"Did she say when she was coming back home?"

"No...Just give her some time. She's fine where she is and when she's ready, she'll come back and talk to you. Until then, just let her breathe."

"Okay, okay." I sighed heavily. "Do you think I was wrong for telling her I was ending the arrangement?"

"Absolutely, that boy loves her Wessan and she loves him too. Do you not see the way they look at each other?"

"I do but he's not the boy we thought he was. Incase you forgot he was just charged with attempted murder."

"The charges were dropped!"

"But you know he did it! We all know he did!"

"Okay so what he did? He did it for Kenzee! Those other boys tried to assault her!"

"The situation could have been handled differently."

"He did what he thought was right to protect the woman he loves. I don't see anything wrong with that."

I sighed. "I'm just not comfortable with-"

There was a knock on the door so I got up to get it. When I opened the door, one of our neighbors was standing there with an envelope in his hand.

"Hey, we got your mail on accident."

He passed me the envelope and I scrunched my face up in confusion when I saw it was from an apartment complex.

"Um, thanks."

"No problem."

He walked away and I closed the door before opening the envelope.

Inside was a copy of a lease for a two bedroom apartment.

I angrily walked back into the kitchen. "Makeda!"

She turned around. "Yes?"

"What is this?"

I held up the lease and she snatched it from me.

"You know opening someone's mail without permission is a federal offense!" She huffed as she folded it then tucked it in my pocket. "You're so nosey Wessan."

"Why do you have a lease for an apartment? Are you leaving me or something?"

"No..." She sighed. "I got the apartment for Kenzee and Abel."

"You what?!"

"That's where she's been all week."

"Why would you do that?! And without telling me?!"

"Because I'm not going to let you tear them apart."

I grabbed my keys off the table and she yelled after me as I made my way to the door.

"Where are you going?!"

"To go get my daughter!"

I walked out of the house and slammed the door behind me.