Across the Universe - 7

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my open mind
Possessing and caressing me
Jai Guru Deva OM

When the shuttle touched down on Mars, Sollastek was waiting. He and Eriecho quietly and briefly touched index and middle fingers, and he saw her memory of Sybok and Spock Prime speaking with their father. She, in turn, saw him, worried despite his emotional suppression, and his relief at hearing from her.

She smiled at him. "We were successful."

"I should visit a physician," Sybok said, "but one more thing, first, before I go."

"Yes?" asked Eriecho.

"Theo and the others, I recall a few days ago you had told me that there was music available for entertainments. And I listened to some of it, upon the MACOs' highest recommendation. It was four men who called themselves The Beatles."

"How odd," Eriecho remarked.

"I know that your wedding will be soon. And you had said that there will be human traditions mixed in with the Suliban and the Vulcan," Sybok continued.

"Yes, it was our decision, to honor our benefactors," Sollastek explained.

"Then I ask you, if there could be some music," Sybok said, "if I might suggest one particular piece? And there should be a dance to go with it, because a guest at a human wedding always wants to dance with the bride."

"There will be touch telepathy," Eriecho said, "would this bother you, Sollastek?"

"I'm not sure. Can you demonstrate?"

"Now?" asked Eriecho.

"If we are going to be different Vulcans, then there is no better time or place," Sollastek said.

Sybok raised an eyebrow. "Very well." He clicked around on his PADD until he found the file he wanted. "Here, I put my hand on your waist and you put yours on my shoulder, and we hold the other hands, and we move our feet around, slowly, in a circle. And I will try not to step on yours." He nodded at Sollastek.

"Ready." Sollastek hit the controls and the music began to play.

The matrons, and others, came out of their Quonset hut homes, and the MACOs came over, too, and Valeris and Saddik joined them, slowly, tentatively, being different. Theo called Shaw on his communicator, and the director came out, too, and smiled at the sight.

Sybok saw Eriecho when she had first realized that she loved Sollastek, and he felt her love for her fiancé and could see that it was a good match, and that they would be happy.

Eriecho saw Sybok at peace, and saw him, years ago, bending down to talk to a very young Spock, telling him to continue playing and being a child for as long as possible.

And the matrons, who saw only what they wanted to see, saw four people keeping unseemly contact. But anyone with an open mind saw kindness and friendship, independence and family. And they saw Vulcans, as new and as different as a new timeline and a new reality, but no less Vulcan for that.